C10

It's Sunday and in contrary to the usual Sundays in their diner, today's business was unusually slow, putting Chelsea almost into sleep. At the same time however, she's quite happy that she has a lot of chance to rest. This month has been very busy with all the demands from her classes, the practice for cheerleading, and of course, the weekends spent in their diner.

She was yawning non-stop, with her arms folded under her chin when a guy, probably in his early twenties approached her.

"Miss, can I have two burgers and two cans of cola, please"

That deep voice interrupted her thoughts and made Chelsea stand on her feet.

"Sorry, sir. What is it again?"

The guy's lips broke into a smile. He repeated his order and handed her a bill.

"You know, it's kind of a little early to doze off in wonderland", he told her, smiling. He has short black hair, hazel eyes surrounded by long thick lashes, and a confident grin showing his pearly teeth. He also looked really good in a light blue collared shirt and khaki colored chinos.

"I'm sorry," she returned his smile shyly. She handed him a tray with his orders and reached her hand out for the change.

"By the way, I'm Henry, Henry Gunn. And you are?" He asked after putting the coins inside his backpocket.

"Chelsea. Hammond", she answered and accepted his hand.

Henry repeated her name and gave her another smile. "Well Chelsea, I'm on a date with my mom now," he said and waved at a woman who seems to be in her late 40's and was occupying a table in a corner. "She just came to visit me since I'm having my internship in Greenfields," he explained pertaining to the neighboring town whose economy just exploded two years ago because of an accidental discovery of a huge ore deposit. He leaned an arm against the counter as his face came closer to her. "Would you be interested to go out tomorrow evening?"

The question appalled her, but he seemed serious about it. Not being able to speak, Henry chuckled and took out his student's I.D from his wallet.

"I find you cute. I'm sorry I have to be straightforward", he added and held out his hand again. "I'm Henry Gunn, 21, a senior in Columbia U", he said grinning.

"I-I have classes tomorrow", was the only sensible answer she was able to give him.

He seemed to be unaffected and took back his hand. "But you'll be here by next week, huh?"

She nodded her head.

"Great", he said smiling. "I'll drop by then. For now I have to walk these back to my mom", he said, excused himself and walked towards the lady who was watching their conversation the whole time.

The incident woke Chelsea her whole shift. After less than an hour or so, she saw Henry standing with his mom, with the former mouthing the words, "See you next Sunday".

*********
Unlike any other Monday morning, Chelsea already found a portion of their school's gym lit up when she came in. It was unusual since she has always been the first person to arrive and at times, the last to leave during practice.

Thinking it was probably Coach Stevens, she headed quietly inside just to learn that it's Nina.

She was sitting on the mat, her back facing her. For a minute, Chelsea wondered what she was doing and decided to study her. After a few second, she saw the girl stood, took a deep breath, and finally started to count.

"One, two, three, go!"

The execution of the routine that they have been practicing followed. It was raw and full of passion. Nina seemed, no, was completely immersed with what she was doing, the blonde thought and finally admitted to herself, that the girl, knows what she got herself into. The actions were done in both precision and grace.