C8

"Okay girls, let's go for ten laps around the field before an individual and partner conditioning."

It was only 30 minutes past five and the clouds were still dark and wind freezing, but Chelsea stood from the bleachers and started a quick stretching routine. They don't usually practice on weekdays but since it's just three more weeks to go, intense training is necessary. For a two to four minute performance, a month is the least time period they can utilize. It would have been easier since they already started the first week of their senior year, but since Missy Mendes had her leg fractured, it's now a different set of rules for the game.

She was doing a couple of her last leg stretches when Coach Stevens approached her.

"Where's Greene, Hammond?", she asked. Their coach is pretty understanding and everything but she's very strict with punctuality. It has always been a pillar and articulated version of their team's core value which is commitment.

She looked around and saw that all girls were in the area, starting to stretch, except for one.

She cursed underneath her breath. She doesn't like to give Coach Stevens an impression of choosing the wrong candidate.Particularly at this moment.

"Excuse me for a while, Coach. I'll call her", she said and ran towards Jessica. As much as she hated it, she had no choice but to get Nina's cellphone number and call the girl herself to avoid further delay.

It took her about four rings before someone finally answered.

"Where are you,Greene?", she asked congratulating herself that she managed not to use the question, "Where the f*** are you?"

"Still changing" a lazy voice answered.

"Hurry up", she almost hissed and ended the call.

Chelsea sighed and calmed herself. Focus, Hammond.

But how can I if I'll get to work with her for God knows how long?!, her mind screamed. She went back to her position and resumed to work on her lunges and stretches.

It was a few more minutes when she finally saw Nina half walking and half running towards her.

"I am sor-"

"Stop", Chelsea cut her words and squinted her eyes over to Coach Stevens. "Hurry up and coach wants to talk to you" she said and walked towards the woman who was busy giving reminders to Jessica and the other girls. Yet before Coach Stevens was able to talk to Nina, the phone of the former rang and had to excuse herself.

"How do we start?", Nina asked out of nowhere when their coach left. The rest of the girls were already doing their runs and it was only the two of them left.

"Wait, are we friends now?", The head cheerleader asked back sarcastically. She couldn't help it.

"One way or another you'll have to talk to me, Hammond. But if that's what you like, then suit yourself", the other girl answered in a flat tone without bothering to look at her.

" Advice gladly taken"

Nina cocked a brow before deciding to shrug off the other girl's tone of sarcasm.

"Greene, welcome to the team", the voice of Coach Stevens caught both their attention.

Chelsea saw Nina's oriental eyes getting smaller as she smiled and accepted the extended hand infront of her. "I'm more than grateful to be a part of your team, Coach Stevens."

"By the way Greene, as much as I would love to orient you on how we do things here, I have to request Hammond to do that", she said and looked at Chelsea who was surprised. "Donahue called and inform me that Mendes' parents just arrived and would like to talk."