Part 18

~Sang's Point of View~

"Who was taken?" Mr. Blackbourne asked as the others were still in a mix of concern and shock.

"An academy bird named Samantha Patterson, or as she introduced herself, Sam," said Uncle.

I looked at the boys, shocked. She was one of the girls that came here tonight. She was the short, quiet redhead.

"She was taken not long after she left the dinner. That's why this is so urgent. Volto has struck home and any of us are now in danger. Since you are the closest team near this crime scene, you all are being assigned to the case, if you accept it," Uncle said, looking to Mr. Blackbourne and Kota.

They both nodded. We all wanted to help out on this case.

"We accept," Kota vocally confirmed, along with mumbles of agreements from the rest of the group.

"As much as I'd love to stay, I've got more members I need to talk to. Good luck, find her quick," Uncle said before he quickly ran out.

"Who does he have to talk to?" I questioned. I didn't know what Uncle did as a part of the academy.

"We never know. He is friends with many families and heads of the academy. They like to speak in person to discuss options on what to tell the rest of the academy. Honestly, what Uncle does now is very different from what he used to do now that he is retired from field duty," North answered.

"So who is this Volto? Is Sam going to be okay?" I asked, thinking about the girl I just met.

Though we didn't speak, I felt like she was different from Marcy and more genuine. Either way, I didn't want anyone to get hurt.

"Volto is an academy serial killer. He disappeared off the map five years ago, which is why we were so shocked to hear he had returned. The last time he was active, he went on a killing spree. He murdered seventeen members in a span of six months before he disappeared," Kota shared grimly. I couldn't help but gasp.

Seventeen people. Just gone. Seventeen lives taken too soon and now another person was missing.

"It gets worse," Silas grumbled, obviously upset.

"The murders were gruesome. Volto liked to totore until he grew bored or they gave up fighting..." Nathan spat out, disgusted.

"The worst part was the presentation. After Volto killed them, he fucking gift wrapped their bodies and sent them back to the academy families. Most times he sent them in pieces. Other times he would just leave the bodies somewhere only the family would have access to," Gabriel said, looking pissed off and ready to get revenge.

"I remember one family in particular. The girl had been gone a week or so, they woke up one morning and went into the room she used to sleep in. There she was, with a bow in her hair, wearing a blue dress, hanging from the ceiling by a rope. She was put on display," Dr. Green said, shaking his head in disbelief.

I could barely believe it. Who could do such things? This Volto had to have severe problems.

"He plays games. He thinks it's fun to come up with new ways to play with his victims and the victims' families. This is why we need to be extremely careful. We must not ever lose our cool. We need to keep our heads on straight for this one. We can't afford distracted or emotional behaviors. Sam can't afford that from us. She needs us to find her and before it is too late," Mr. Blackbourne said and we all swore to stay calm and to not let our emotions get the best of us. After all, it was the least we could do.

"Well, it looks like Sang's first mission as a part of the team is coming sooner than expected," Dr. Green pointed out.

"I still have to talk to the academy, but yes. It looks that way. Sang, are you ready to do some team work?" Mr. Blackbourne asked me.

"Yes," I said, and shortly after we broke up into groups.

We had a lot to get done in a short amount of time and the consequences were huge.

I hoped we would pull it off, for everyone's sake.

Especially Sam's.