20: Behind the Bars

Clementine woke up in a cell. She rubbed her sore cheek. She looked at her hand and noticed blood from the hunter punching her. "You're finally up." A voice spoke from the shadows. The figure stepped out. It was Noah. "Clementine, I know you're pissed-" "No shit I'm pissed! You lied to us, Noah!" He frowned at her. "This really isn't something I wanted to do, Clem." He said. "What about Jake?" Clementine asked. "You don't have to worry about him."

Clementine's heart jumped in her chest.

"What the hell does that mean!" She said angrily. "Whoa, calm down Clementine. He's not dead. I'm just saying you won't have to worry about him being killed." "Why should I believe you?" She said to him. "I was the one who said we should move Jake into the store to prevent him being eaten by walkers." He said.

Clementine closed her eyes tightly and sighed. She nodded and looked at him. "Thank you..." She said. He nodded. "He's safe Clem." He said as he kneeled down to her level. "He must be special to you." He said. Clementine nodded. "Very. He's all I have left." Noah closed his eyes and sighed. "I'm really, really sorry Clementine. But they were already following you. It was up to me to try to keep them from killing you. So I told them I'd bring you both back. But unfortunately, we only needed one. And they picked you." He said. "To become a hunter..." Clementine confirmed. Noah nodded.

"What happens to my brother?" "Once you become one of us, you're not allowed to see him again, and you will have to be willing to kill him if he-" "Fuck you!" Clementine spat at him. Noah sighed. Running a hand through his hair.

"Clementine-" "No! I will not become a hunter! Never!" She said. "I'm not like you!" She added. Noah scowled. "I'm sorry Clementine. You have no choice." He said. He stood up and walked to the door. "What does that mean!?" She said to him. "They're actually doing it right now." Noah said as he stopped. "Doing what?" Clementine asked him. He walked over to a window outside the bars. "Look through your window." Noah said, pointing at the window inside the bars.

Clementine peered through the window. Seeing survivors with ropes around their necks. Hanging. A hunter kicked the last survivors stool. The survivor was hung. "That'll be you." He said. Clementine looked at him. "Like I said. No choice. Unless you count death as one." He said and walked to the door. Clementine watched him as he approached the door. He opened it and looked over his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Clementine. I really am." He said and closed the door.

Clementine sighed and sat in the corner. She wrapped her arms around her legs. She placed her forehead in her knees and sighed.

Clementine really didn't want to become one of them. And she could never kill her brother. She couldn't bring herself to do the first time with Jane. How could she do it now after all they've been through?