31: More Than Friends

*2 weeks later

Jake waited outside for Kendra. After the hunter attack, the two started seeing each other. Which lead them getting together in a relationship. He adjusted his baseball cap and shoved his hands inside his jean pockets.

"Hey." Someone spoke behind him. It was Kendra. "Hey." Jake replied and the two embraced tightly. "How are ya?" Kendra asked. "Good. You?" Jake replied. "Just fine." Kendra said, shyly grabbing Jake's hand. The two started slowly walking down the street with each other.

===========

"You sure y'er okay with us? Bein' like this?" Jake asked. "Of course Jake. We can take it slow if ya want?" Kendra said. Jake smiled at her. But dropped it. "I'm known to be a little... reckless just to throw it out there." He told her. Kendra shrugged. "We all had some bad shit out there." Kendra said. Jake nodded. "Well, thanks f'er understandin'." Kendra smiled sweetly at him. Squeezing his hand lightly.

"Is it too much to ask what happened to y'er eye?" Kendra asked Jake nervously. "Ya really wanna know?" Kendra gave Jake a concerned look, but nodded.

"A few years ago, Clementine and I were with another group. We got captured by this guy, Carver. And his crew. They brought us to their camp. Long story short, I stood up f'er my sister, and this is what happened. Couldn't see outta this eye since." Kendra rubbed her thumb along Jake's hand. "I'm sorry this happened to you." Jake shrugged. "I've learned to live with it." He told her.

"Still. It's probably not easy living with one eye." Kendra said. "These days, ain't nothin' easy." Jake said. "Well, won't argue with ya, there." Kendra replied.

============

Kendra gripped Jake's hand as they walked down the street. "I just wanna say, thank you for lookin' out for me... twice." Jake smiled at her. "Don't mention it. Some guys just don't know when to quit." Jake said with a shrug. "Tell me about it." Kendra said with a chuckle.

"Whatcha do before the dead walked around?" Kendra asked Jake as they continued walking. "I used to skateboard." Jake told her. Kendra smiled at him. "Cool. Know any tricks?" Jake chuckled. "Used to. Been awhile since I even touched a skateboard. Let alone seen one." He told her. A small smile grew on Jake's face. "One time my sister hid my skateboard somewhere and said I'd havta hang out with her before I got it back." He said.

Kendra chuckled. "That's cute. Abigail was the same. She always used to annoy and tease me." Jake smiled at her. "Sisters... ya know." He said. Kendra smiled at Jake. "Yeah. One time actually, when Abigail was a toddler, she had a cereal box over her head. She couldn't see and walked into a wall." Jake smiled. "Kinda miss my energetic little sis." Kendra said. Jake nodded and said, "Yeah it's kinda sad to see how much they've changed, ain't it?"

===========

"Are you and Clementine close?" Kendra asked. Jake nodded. "Clementine is really all I have left from our family." Jake looked at Kendra "I'd do anything to ensure her survival." Kendra nodded. "Abigail and I are close too. I didn't let her leave my sight when this first started. We were always close. But I feel like we bonded more as time went on, I can't tell ya how much I love that girl." Kendra said.

============

"I'll see ya later." Kendra said and hugged Jake. He smiled and nodded. Kendra winked at Jake and walked away.

"You? You're the one who she dates now?" A man spoke. "Alfred right?" Jake asked as he turned to faced him. "How? How'd you do it?" Alfred said. "Just lucky I guess." Jake replied. Alfred clenched his fist and swung at Jake, but he caught Alfred's fist and punched him across the jaw. Alfred slammed against the wall and slid down the wall.

"Ya had that comin' after everything ya did to her." Jake turned around and walked away. Alfred stood up and ran toward Jake, only to meet another fist to the face. His head snapped back and he fell to the ground holding his nose.

He wiped his hand against his nose and noticed blood on his finger. Defeated, Alfred just watched Jake walk away into the night. He stood up and walked the opposite direction of Jake.