Chapter Seven

Thank you for reading to far! Just to warn you, something big is going to happen at the end of this chapter that sets up something else really big. I don't want to make you mad, but it could happen.

One month had passed since our horse date. I had already been back twice to visit and ride Salty. I think I had found myself a new hobby. In the month since our date, Evan and I had been joined at the hip. We went to Ethan's parties together, and we went for pie at the diner, or dinner somewhere. One of my favorite things to do was go bowling at midnight. We had done it a couple times and I loved it so much.

It had become a normal thing for Evan to sit at lunch with us. We were a comfortable group, and on Saturdays we went on adventures together. Ethan sometimes had basketball, but otherwise we all played sports or did things in different seasons. It was senior year, so we were all taking some things off, for more time to enjoy the last days of high school. And take some more naps. I like naps. Naps are fun.

Evan and I are the first ones at the table today. It's Wednesday, so that means chicken nuggets. They are the most delicious thing they could ever put on the menu. I was obsessed with them, and last year I would go around and try to trade away parts of my lunch for them. Now I just traded with Evan and everyone.

Soon, the whole group is at the table. Ethan is sharing his Calculus answers with Brooke, who has the test next hour. Steph and Noah are having a conversation, that looked like something serious.

"Hey Evan." Ethan says, suddenly turning away from Brooke.

"Yeah?" Evan answers.

"Katie needs a ride somewhere after school, and I was going to give her one, but my mom wants me to come straight home after school. Are you free after school to give her one?"

Evan turns to me.

"What about your car? Do you not have it?"

"No, yesterday some idiot back ended me so we took it to the shop, since I have insurance, to get it fixed. I asked Ethan for a ride to Target and Walmart to pick up some things." I tell him.

"Why didn't you ask me for a ride?"

"I don't know. Because I thought of Ethan first."

Evan looked shocked, as if I had hurt him.

"Babe, it's no big deal."

"You thought of him first?"

"Evan. It's not a big deal." Ethan says, staring at him like he was crazy.

"This doesn't involve you, okay? Stay out of our business." Evan growls at Ethan.

I look at Evan, wondering why he was getting so mad. He needed to calm down, it really wasn't that big of a deal.

"Excuse you?" Ethan says, offended.

"Stay out of it."

"I don't know who you think you are--"

"I'm Katie's boyfriend. And she should think of me always before you."Evan cuts him off, anger evident in his voice.

Ethan stands up, and I recognize the look in his eyes, and I know it's not good. Evan stands up to match his stance. If they fought, I knew Ethan would win hands down. He was basically a god and could beat anyone up, and although Evan was strong, he was not as strong as Ethan.

"You may be her best friend, but I'm her boyfriend. I am more important than you and will always be."

"Evan!" I was thoroughly shocked at his words. This was the meanest I had ever seen Evan be. He had no right to say those things to me.