Part 8

As I cried onto Rhys, I saw his shirt getting wet with my tears. I tried to calm myself down, and pulled away from him, wiping my tears. I sighed, and we sat in silence for a bit. Rhys looked at me, not knowing what to say. I didn't blame him. I was a mess. I tried to think of something to say.

"So, er... It didn't go down so well with Jack..." I managed a small smile at the end of the sentence.

"You wanna talk about it?" Rhys asked.

"He told me that if he had a body, he would've 'given me more bruises than I have already'. That wasn't nice to hear."

"Why is he being such a dick to you?" 

"I did just flirt with you, Rhys. In front of him. It didn't mean anything, but he took it worse than I thought he would. I don't know what to do..." Rhys sighed, thinking.

"Well," he said, "it is late. I'd sleep on it, and see how you feel tomorrow." I nodded slowly.

"Okay." I thought. "Yeah, I'll do that. Thanks Rhys. You've been really good to me." I smiled at him.

"It's no problem," Rhys replied, smiling back, "I always look out for my friends."

"Since that's come up, have you apologised to Fiona yet? About, you know." I asked, curious, and eager to get the topic of conversation off me. 

"I was going to do it, but then I chickened out" Rhys admitted, embarrassed.

"Ah, go on Rhys!" I encouraged. "Come on, let's do it now." I stood up, and opened the hatch that led down into the caravan. Rhys looked nervous. I rolled my eyes.

"She can't think any worse of you afterwards than she does now, can she?" 

"Good point," Rhys stated, standing up, following me down the hatch. August was gone, but Fiona and Sasha looked at us as we climbed down the ladder.

"Everything okay?" Sasha asked kindly. I sighed.

"Yeah, it's good now. Thank you." I replied, smiling at her. I saw Rhys rubbing the back of his neck nervously. I guess he was about to tell Fiona.

"Er, Fiona?" Rhys said. Fiona didn't say anything, just crossed her arms and glared at him. "About earlier-"

"Rhys, I don't want to hear it, okay?" Fiona interrupted him.

"No, listen!" Rhys exclaimed loudly. "I've got to explain, because you're probably reading the wrong signals right now."

"Fine, go on." Fiona allowed him to speak. Sasha and I watched nervously.

"It wasn't me who did... that to you. It was-" 

Suddenly August burst in angrily, interrupting him.

"Have you idiots thought of a plan yet? Because Vallory is getting impatient." Sasha rolled her eyes at him.

"Not yet," Fiona replied, sighing halfway through the sentence. 

I suddenly saw Jack appear beside me. He wasn't here for me though, he was here to talk to Rhys. I guessed he was still cross at me. 

"Gortys' beacon? It's in my office." He said to Rhys. So it seemed that he wasn't cross at Rhys about earlier. Figures. He did resist my 'affections', after all. "Ton of Atlas crap in there. Go on, ask Gortys about it. She'll back me up."

"I know where the beacon is," Rhys started to say, causing everyone to look at him. "It's in Handsome Jack's old office." August looked at Rhys skeptically. "Run it past Gortys." Rhys said again, confidently.