Chapter 15: The Search Begins

"Where are you going?" I heard a male voice say from behind me. "Shit." I whispered.

-----

I quickly pushed the key into the hole without him noticing. I turned towards him slowly, the tip of the key in one of my hands and the knob in the other. The man stood there with his hands in the pocket of his jeans. He had on a navy blue tshirt with a gold cross hanging around his neck. He had dark skin and dark eyes. His hair was brown and buzzed cut. Also, he had a stubble of a beard growing. His head had a large scar that had dried blood surrounding it. He looked around daddy's age and was very tall. "Who are you?" I asked, stepping closer to the door so I could turn the key. "I'm Joshua. Are you Katherine?" The man asked as he stepped closer to me. "Y-yes I am... How do you know that?" I questioned as I turned the key and heard the click of the door unlock. "The horrid man Kaleb. He locked me up, along with another poor man. I got loose from my rope and escaped as fast as I could. The other man was knocked out, literally, and I couldn't wait for him to wake." Joshua explained. I stopped and thought for a moment. That "man" could be daddy. "When you saw that man, was he in pajamas?" I asked as I took my hands out from behind my back and began to bite them. I always bite my nails when Im nervous. "Yeah, I think so." Joshua answered. I stopped biting my nails and stared at him. Is this true? Could I have the solution to my problems in my hands? "Where were you guys locked up?" I asked, stepping away from the door. "In the attic. I think that's what it is. I don't know it's just up." Joshua replied nervously. He began to look around frantically and grabbed onto the top layer of my dress, playing with the material. His eyes were full of fear and sorrow. For a grown man this is actually surprising me. I carefully grabbed his hand and removed it from my dress, placing it by his side. "We'll get him out and we'll all escape from here. Okay?" I said as I tip-toed to place my hand on his shoulder.

"Okay." He replied. "So what hallway did you come out from?" I asked as I pointed to the 3 hallways in front of us. He turned and faced where my finger was pointing. "This one." Joshua replied, walking over to the hallway to the left. It was close to the family area and I could see a few pictures hanging on the walls of it. I followed him over to the hall. "Is there a switch?" I asked more to myself then to Joshua. I felt around for a switch as Joshua stood there staring at me like if I had 3 heads. "Joshua, are you okay?" I asked him as I continued to search for a light switch. "He killed them, Kathrine. All of them. He was gonna kill me and him." He answered with a sence of panic in his voice. I stopped searching for the light and turned my attention towards Joshua. "What do you mean 'all of them'. Who?" I asked, walking closer to the scared man behind me. "The girls. There were so many of them. He- he raped them and then killed them. He made us watch and it was sickening." Joshua said as he pulled me into a hug. I felt his fingertips play with the bottom of my hair as I wrapped my arms around his thin torso. "I would love to hug you more, but we have to hurry." I explained to him. He released me from the hug and nodded acceptingly.

-

Who would do this to you?

-

Your dad needs you, why are you not hurrying?

-

Your scared aren't you?

-

Gavin is a 'sweet boy' isn't he?

-

I can't process my feelings right now. I have so many questions and emotions running through me I might pass out. The thought of me seeing my dad again is what's making me go through this. I would be gone if this man didn't say there was a man with pajamas where he was trapped.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is short and took me forever to write because I broke my thumb nail and it got infected and it hurts like crazy and since I write this on my iPod it makes it worse so yea be happy.

THE LAST WINTER HAS 3.1K READS IM SO HAPPY!

Thank you all so much for commenting and voteing and reading because without you guys I would just be a girl with an idea. Now I'm a girl with an idea worth writing.

Thank you.

Comment, vote, message me, and fan!

Love you my snowflakes!

-Ericaaaaaa is really happy