4) Storm Warning

The winding road out came to an end after what seemed like an eternity of driving. Daisy met the smooth asphalt and hummed back onto the highway, I was trying to keep it together behind the wheel knowing that tears were the enemy especially when I wanted to wait for the comfort of Nikki's bed.  

        So many thoughts raced inside my head and the more I thought the more my eyes watered, threatening to pour out all these insane emotions. I was so numb that I just stared blankly out of my windshield, the music on the radio was ignored, and I didn't even realize that rain had started to fall, why was I feeling this?

        I drove and drove until I reached the gates of Halfgrove Cay, Nikki lived here in the most luxurious beachfront subdivision in town and was spoiled rotten to accompany it. I punched in her gate code subconsciously and waited impatiently to be buzzed through the majestic golden gates.

        I let my car cruise while I admired the beautiful crystal blue water of Halfgrove Beach. I drove until I reached Nikki's street and pulled into her driveway, when I opened my door the sky seemed to open up and pour just for me.

        My eyes glared up to the sky and a sly smirk crept onto my face while I just stood there with my arms out, "At least you warned me." I spoke to whoever was up there listening.

        The front door lurched open and out bolted just the faces I needed to see. I'm sure I looked like a drowning cat but they didn't care, they ran out in the rain for me and soon we looked horrible while we swam in a sea of running makeup and giggles.

        "Let's go inside before we start the first day of school with runny noses and red eyes kids!" Karie shouted over the sounds of the downpour. Her light brown skin glistened even in the rain and beautiful hazel eyes made it so that nobody could resist her.

        Karie always wore her straight black hair down her back in intricate styles and she was way too pretty for makeup. I never tell her to her face because it makes her uncomfortable to be gawked at. We met in dance class as kids and have been together ever since.

        "I agree a hundred percent!" Nikki adds, "I am not playing doctor if we all get sick this week it just can't happen!" Her voice snapped me back quick and I couldn't help but smile at her motherly scolding.

        Her wavy brown hair was pulled up in a ponytail as always and her already tan skin was stained golden by the summertime sunshine. She has always been the girl next door type with a little exotic edge because her parents are Bulgarian, but she was as American as apple pie. She was smart and was more like a mom and best friend mixed in one. What is it with everybody being physically attractive but me?

        "Guys, oh my gosh-" I started.

        "We know, and I had a feeling when you took so long to get here!" Nikki said while pushing us toward the door.

        "It's like he's a zit and no matter how hard you fight him he keeps popping back up!" Kari said through a smile.

        My smile widened and Nikki's snorting chuckle made me laugh, and just like that the rain stopped and the tension was gone. We made our way to the front door and I didn't know how soaked we were from being out in the rain. 

        Nikki's mom was gonna kill us for trailing so much water into her perfectly decorated living room, but we made a mad dash for upstairs where Niks had her own floor on the 3rd story of their massive house.

        I immediately went over to her graffiti wall in her loft and put the date along with a cute quote. Her mom painted the wall with this cool paint that makes it basically like a canvas when we were in middle school and we've been defacing it ever since.