Chapter 4: Family Ties

[ Jennifer's POV ]

I got downstairs to see Jenna chopping carrots and Elena on the phone with someone, which could only be Stefan.

"Scum ball. Scum bucket." She said angrily.

"Scum bag." I added.

"Scum bitch. Is that a word?" Jenna asked. I laughed.

"I think that's a song." I said, "By the way, who are we talking about?"

She pointed the knife at the TV, like she was going to kill him, "Logan Scum Fell."

"The news guy? He's cute." I said while eating a strawberry.

"He is not cute. There is nothing cute about him." She said.

"Why do you disgust him so much?" I asked.

"Do you know why I moved back to Mystic Falls?"

"No way. No. Freaking. Way. You and him?" I gaped. Jenna nodded.

Elena was on the phone for another hour with Stefan. I wasn't sure what they were talking about, but it seemed like yesterday's incident was completely off of Elena's head. She was all giggly and bubbly, it made me kinda sick.

I arrived at the Mystic Grill after Caroline called me. I sat down at her table and ordered a drink.

"Do you have a date for the Founder's party?" Caroline asked.

"Nope. You?" I said casually.

"I'm going with Damon." She said, playing with her scarf. 

"Seriously? You're going with Damon? Does your mom even know you're seeing him?" I said.

"Do I ever care about my mom's opinion on who I date?" She said like it was the obvious.

"Caroline, he seems dangerous." I said warningly.

"Okay, he's not dangerous. He just has a lot of issues with his brother. You know, like deep-rooted family drama." She said.

"Like...?" I pried.

"I'm not supposed to say anything." She looked down. I sighed, defeated. But that was when I noticed Caroline wore a lot of scarfs lately. And she wasn't even a fan of scarfs.

"Why are you wearing scarfs lately?" I asked.

"Um..." She fumbled with words, "Damon gave them to me."

"So you do everything Damon says now?" I raised an eyebrow mockingly.

"I don't..." Caroline as if she was racking her brain for memories, "I don't know."

I frowned, "What do you mean you don't know?"

"I can't remember. Like there are holes in my memories." Suddenly, her phone rang. She smiled brightly when she saw the caller ID. After a few "Okay." and "I love you.", she hang up.

"Damon's here." She squealed and rushed for the door. Through the glass, I could do see car parked up and he glanced sideways. Our eyes met for a second and I sent a glare his way. Caroline got in and kissed him before they drove away.

I finished my drink alone and got home to see Bonnie and Elena getting ready to tonight.

"Let me guess. You two are bringing someone to the party." I said blankly.

"Yep." Elena said while fixing her mascara.

"Why does everyone have a date but me?" I mumbled.

"I thought you were the independent type?" Bonnie giggled.