13. Pericolo

It had been four days since Xavier and Killian flew to Japan. Home felt empty and forlorn for Megan. Chiara and Ginevra had stopped by every afternoon and leave at twilight. They would spend time with Rosa while Megan locked herself in the cottage beside the garden, working on her painting in the studio.

Xavier had requested Caroline and a few butlers to clean the cottage for her so she could turn it into her own studio. That way, she could spend her time here when he wasn't around. Something that belonged only to her. Her own world.

Rico and Antonio would check up on them from time to time to make sure they were safe in their own residence.

Presently, Megan had been painting in her studio for an hour. Her mind was elsewhere though. Xavier had informed her it was only going to take two days but there was no news from him. She texted him several times but there were no replies from him and she was currently on tenterhooks.

The first knock on her studio door deafened her. It was the second knock that roused her and she turned her head towards the door.

"Come in."

Two heads peeped through the door that made Megan giggle. Chiara's head was below Ginevra's and she glanced up at Chiara, as if waiting for her to assert herself.

"Sister, we need to go out. Stop rotting away." Chiara gave Ginevra a soft push until both of their bodies were in the room.

"I'm not rotting away. Besides, we can't really go out. Your brother hasn't come back yet. He probably won't let us out." Megan replied.

"Who said so? We have Rico and Antonio. We don't need him. Come on. I heard Pierre Salvagni launched a couple of dresses and they were only exclusive to VIPs. We need to go. Pretty please?" Chiara begged and her beseeching puppy eyes gave Megan no choice but to nod in acquiescence.

She stood up and followed behind them as they left the cottage and strolled pass the garden to the residence.

"Where's Rosa?" Megan frowned as she realised Rosa was nowhere to be seen in the living room.

"Caroline took her upstairs to get dressed." Chiara explained and Megan noticed Ginevra lacing her fingers through Chiara's and brought her hand to her lips. A poignant ache bloomed in her chest.

"Have you heard anything from Xavier? I texted him a few times but there was no reply." Megan asked apprehensively.

"It's normal. He doesn't check his phone when he works. Sometimes they are in a rather precarious situation and phones will only be a liability to them. Haven't you watched World War Z? The wife almost got Brad Pitt killed in one of the scenes with that ring tone." Chiara joshed and rolled her eyes.

Ginevra cackled with laughter at her wife's banter. "You're impossible sometimes, you know that?"

"That's why you love me." Chiara purred and winked amorously.

It was not difficult for Megan to see why Ginevra was enamoured by her. Chiara was everything Megan was not and never will be. Despite being born in a different family, Chiara was buoyant and rosy.

One of the reason why Megan had named her daughter Rosa was because she had wanted her daughter's life to be filled with good fortune and happiness; hopeful and most importantly enjoyable. Something she was not able to experience since young.

Antonio drove them to The Mall Firenze, an open luxury outlet, built in a modern architectural setting in the heart of the Tuscany countryside. All the shops were very stylist and unique, including a few luxury brands like Gucci, Valentino, Burberry, Bottega Veneta, Fendi, Versace and many more. The women decided to have their lunch at "Gucci Caffe Restaurant", one of the most elegant coffee shops on the top floor of Gucci store with a panoramic view of the Tuscany hills.