TEAM CHARLIE > EXCERPT

LASAR HQ

--

Aim and Gambler were commonly referred to as the vipers of their fellow agents. Neither could say they minded the term; in fact, both seemed to relish in it. Causing unusual chaos gave them visible joy, especially when it came to their fellow agents.

In the beginning, they hadn't been picky about who they antagonized. They'd terrorize agents younger than them by switching test times, and causing results to 'mysteriously vanish'. Agents older than them would often find their weaponry missing, or severely tampered with. They knew no bounds. But as they aged, their attentions became refined. No longer did they toy with any passing agent for the sake of the moment; no, as their training progressed, so did their choice in target.

Because the position of Alphas had not always been set in stone. There once was a time when aliases had not yet been determined . . . when becoming the best was a competition.

And so their feud with Risk and Rebel began. Every other agent in LASAR was relieved to be out of their sights, yet when their full attention was turned to Risk and Rebel . . . it did not have the desired effects.

Instead of irritated glares across the cafeteria, Risk and Rebel would get up in their faces. Aim and Gambler's so-called clever instigations were not something that would go ignored any longer; their newest targets -- enemies? -- wouldn't allow it.

Aim decided to steal all of Risk's ammo? Risk shoved him into a wall so forcefully that he got a concussion.

Gambler burnt off Rebel's eyebrows? Rebel snapped each and every one of her knives in half.

This, they discovered, was how wars were started.

And theirs was anything but cold.

It escalated with each passing year, until the moment of truth came.

Risk and Rebel outscored them in every possible division, earning themselves the title of Team Alpha, while they became second best. But not even second best -- no, the title of Bravo was given to an older infiltration team; a duo of brutes that were unfazed by anything that Aim and Gambler did.

They became Team Charlie, and they would forever hold a special hatred in their hearts for Risk and Rebel because of it.