TEAM DELTA > EXCERPT

LASAR HQ

--

The agents of LASAR were seldom in its headquarters for long. Each of their occupations required them to do copious amounts of fieldwork, which made it an area of high traffic. It wasn't uncommon for an individual or team to go months, maybe even a year, without crossing paths with a fellow agent. Assignments just didn't coincide, nor did down time.

That was the kind of relationship Team Alpha and Team Delta had.

Both teams were relatively fond of the other, though they seldom actually crossed paths. Team Delta was in and out frequently on various short-term infiltration assignments, while Team Alpha could be gone entirely for weeks or months at a time without it being unusual.

The last time the teams had seen each other was around Thanksgiving of the year before. It was now June, and by some strange miracle, all four of them were in headquarters at the same time.

Team Alpha had just returned from a job in Paris. Team Delta had been in HQ for approximately forty-two hours, after having returned from a job in Mexico City.

Outlaw had made so many jokes at Slick's expense that Slick was legitimately considering tranq-darting her partner. It was at that moment that Risk and Rebel appeared in the halls, Rebel toting a mangled automatic shotgun, Risk in a tattered t-shirt and excessively ripped pants.

Both teams were surprised to see the other, but the only indicator of that was the pause each gave. After once overs were exchanged and brows had risen, smiles appeared.

"Wow, Risky, you look awful," Outlaw snickered, her bright smile causing her whole face to light up.

"At least I look like I work for a living," Risk retorted, clearly making fun of the sweats and over-sized t-shirts both of the other girls were wearing. She let out a huff then, pushing her hair back before a small smile returned to her face. "Someone thought it would be a good idea to get into a fencing match with a pompous aristocrat."

"By someone," Slick said, still highly amused by how utterly decimated Risk's clothing was, "are you speaking of yourself? Because if so, your third-person talk could use some serious improvement."

"Nah, she's talking about me," Rebel informed them. He was visibly smug. "I challenged a Duke to a fencing match. About three strokes in, he realized I didn't bleed . . . and somebody intervened. Without a sword, might I add."

"Couldn't you have just--?" Slick began to ask as her partner giggled hysterically.

"Telekinetically crushed him?" Risk finished for her, her features lacking in amusement. "Yup. Could have. But then this guy," she elbowed him in the side, "rediscovered his brain and actually got to work." She paused. "It's kind of a long story."

"Well, we just came back from Mexico City," Outlaw volunteered, still grinning like a fool. "And boy, was that a killer assignment."

It was Slick's turn to look unamused. "Everything that has come out of her mouth in the past week has made me want to tranquilize her."

"Puns?" Rebel asked, arching a brow.

"And worse," Slick said, cutting her still beaming partner a glare.

"Doesn't surprise me," Risk shrugged. "Listen, as nice as it is to see you both, I need a shower. And new clothes. So if you want to actually catch up . . . it's going to have to be in around an hour."

Outlaw and Slick both exchanged a look then, before simultaneously shrugging. "I'm down for that," Slick said, right as Outlaw said, "I'll have to reschedule my pilates class." Her words were punctuated by a firm shoulder punch from Slick.

"You don't even know what pilates is," Slick argued.

"Of course I do! It's like yoga. Sort of," Outlaw protested immediately.

In the mean time, Risk and Rebel exchanged a look, before moving right around both of the girls as the arguing continued. Outlaw and Slick were the best proof that arguing didn't have to completely destroy any relationship; in fact, it was theorized they worked better when they were bickering about something. Granted, that didn't mean anyone else wanted in the middle of it . . . but that didn't make it any less amusing to watch.

Especially because when they stopped arguing, they were on the same page -- and their opponents never stood a chance.