Chapter 1

There was a loud, “BANG!!!!” followed by fire everywhere. My ears were ringing; all I could see was orange and white flames licking the walls. My head was spinning as I slammed the door shut and ran for the window.

My apartment building was shaking, I was almost done stumbling to the window when the next one hit. Whoosh! Puuuuhh! A blinding white light came from behind me, I lurched forward. I couldn’t see for a moment. When vision returned I realized I was on the building next to mine’s fire escape. I started down it, nearing the bottom I see the missing ladder down. Looking up the fire was spreading fast; I jumped down the last few steps my and hurled myself over the metal bar. I landed on a dumpster and fell off. Scared I ran to the end of the alley way.

There was a blanket of fire covering as far as the eye can see, a few buildings had collapsed. The sky screeched as the aircraft flew around for another strike. The sound was paralyzing, I fell to a knee in pain. I got up and instinct told me to run forward. As I pushed through the crowds of panicking people I made my way to the park, the trees were ablaze. I got 20 feet into the park when the next bomb hit, I was sent forward sprawling on the ground. Scrambling I got to my feet and turned around; my apartment building was engulfed in fire and started leaning towards me. I was hypnotized by the events all happening so fast.

I quickly snapped back to reality as a burning branch fell from the tree above. I turned and fled, running faster than ever before in my life. I heard clearly crushing of glass and bricks exploding, over panicking screams and the ringing in my ears, as the building flopped on the ground. The building rushed toward me as if it was trying to eat me. I wasn’t going to make it, there was the shadow of the building in front of me and it was getting darker as the building got closer. Somehow I was running fast enough almost falling forward, I had a few seconds before it finally reached the ground. The building crashed down rupturing the ground in front of me sending me flying forward. I started to crawl; feeling like the building wasn’t quite finished yet. The last of my energy was drained out of me and I collapsed far enough away, or so I thought.