Chapter 10

As I entered the lab I looked about at the destroyed computers spread about. Greg was stationed behind a computer that looked like a lump of coal. He was furiously typing with a new keyboard and monitor trying to find the fragments of data left behind, if there was any.

"You can start on the ones over there." he pointed as he spoke, but his hand rocketed back down to the keyboard. "Once you have pulled up all the data move on to the next one. I have to dig through everything personally. Nothing against you, just my orders."

Without responding I walk over to the computers he gestured to, they were in fairly decent condition. It was 8:35 when I finished my side of the lab. "Are you going to need me for anything else?" I asked pleading for a no in my mind.

"Wow, you're already done?" he sounded surprised. "I don't think so but I will call you if I need any further assistance." 

I waved at the receptionist as I walked toward the door. I was a little on edge and I needed to relax a little so I went to the internet cafe early. I waited for what seemed like a few minutes, but realized I already had four cups of coffee, and Mr. Mathews walked in. I checked the clock, 11:28, I logged off and walked up to the lady at the cash register and payed her. I brushed against Mr. Mathews on my way out. I know what you are thinking, I slipped the USB drive into his pocket, I didn't. He looked back at me confused then looked to the computer. 

Moments later I got the call. "What are you doing?" Mr. Mathews shouted through the phone.

"What is so important about these files?" I questioned in an even tone.

"I have a friend that wanted the info intercepted, he is paying lots of cash." he said trying to explain it.

"Too vague," I replied, "I want to know specifics." I paused. "Or I'm burning it. Come find me, I'm in the alley behind The Rusty Spork."

I hung up before he could reply. When he arrived he found me next to a barrel with a wood fire in it. "So please explain this?" I asked him as he stood across the fire from me. 

"Okay," he started slowly, "there is a man, he remains nameless to me to keep his identity safe. I had to get the files, through you, to send to him at a website then I would have money wired to my account. One million dollars, I am willing to give you a cut of it." he said as he finished looking up at me. 

"Okay, so I would have money coming my way." I said thinking aloud. "Who would want this treasonous data? The better question is who would have known that it was my computer? Or why they blew up the office?" I continued thinking aloud. 

"Can I have the files now?" he questioned.

"Sure, here you go." I said as I took out the USB drive and printed copy. I went to hand it to him, and paused over the fire.

"Drop the files in the fire now!" yelled a voice from behind me. I went to turn and I felt a pressure in the small of my back. 

I dropped the files on instinct and Steve shouted, "No!" as he watched his million dollars burn up. 

"Slowly step around the barrel." the firm voice said, it was female defiantly. I turned to face the gunman, sorry "gun woman", as I backed down the alley, I picked up Steve. The face was hidden in a hood, behind a black leather mask. I watched her eyes flick down to the fire, then back down the iron sights of her silenced pistol aimed at me.