Eavesdropping Steve

S T E V E
Steve watched as Bucky got more and more uncomfortable in the room. He almost went over to him when an old war buddy called him over for some reminiscing war stories. The man was old, so old that Steve couldn't resist humouring him. He walked towards the man.

"Ahaaaa Steven Rogers! How're you doing this evening?" the man gave that crazy but kind old man laugh that Steve associated with his own grandfather. "Come, sit!"

Steve gave a kind smile and sat down at the bar next to the old man.

"Now, remember that one time we went to the bar? Ooh I got so hammered, but you were just staying..."

Steve tuned the man out as he watched Bucky sneak out of the room and down the hallway. He followed on light footsteps, trailing about 10 ft behind Bucky.

Then he lost him around a corner.

Rounding the corner, Steve searched behind boxes and through doors, but Bucky wasn't there. "Oh, whatever..." Steve muttered to himself. As he was about to leave back to the party, he heard a noise he never thought he would hear.

A sob. From Bucky. Steve crept towards the sound and leaned out the door. Out a distance near a jutted wall sat a shadowed over Bucky. He dipped his head into his hands and his shoulders shook. Pain flooded through Steve's heart. He was about to walk to Bucky when he saw the Vision spot Bucky and levitate over to him.

Steve listened through the conversation that followed, his heart skipping a beat when Bucky voiced the thought of being worried he would hurt Steve. What did he just say!?

The conversation was coming to an end, and Steve slipped back into shadow. He had to leave, and quick. Whipping his head around, he searched for an inobvious way to sneak away. Turning his head one last time had him making eye contact with the Vision. The Vision nodded his head and continued down the hall.

Shit... Steve thought, before mentally correcting his language.

As he peeked out, he noticed Bucky squinting at the door. Then his eyes seemed to click on realisation.

Bucky had seen him.

B U C K Y
Bucky watched in both anger and happiness as Steve slowly stepped from the shadows.

"I knew someone would overhear at some point." Bucky grimaced as he spoke to Steve.

"I know... I'm sorry Buck. But I was kinda worried for you when you sneaked out..." Steve wore an expression of worry to match his words.

"Well, what do you need?"

"Why are you leaving? Well, I know now, but are you truly staying? Or am I getting my hopes up?"

Bucky looked at him in surprise. Did Steve actually want him there? he thought with hope in his expression. Maybe someone does care for me...

Bucky finally spoke, "Get your hopes up for what?"

S T E V E
Steve felt his breath catch. Bucky didn't believe him. At least he thought.

Taking a deep breath, Steve sighed before speaking. "I was kinda hoping you would stay and be my best friend... Like "old times". I've been lonely, but please don't make me admit that again..." Steve gave a small laugh with that statement. His mind was racing as he sighed again. "But, whatever you decide to do, I'll support you. Bye, Buck."

Steve turned his head and started walking before Bucky could respond. It was already turning into old times. Steve was considered a baby, and Buck would tease him about it. He couldn't take that at this point.