Ch. 22

K I T T Y
The whole room was levelled, which allowed Kitty to basically sashay her way out of it with ease. With her feet high off the ground, Kitty surveyed the damage done with a horrified face. The walls had been reduced to dust, as had all the contents of the room.

A sick look twisted into her face as she looked at Thanos in disgust. "You-- you did this to me..."

"No," Thanos's voice projected into her ears, "you did this to yourself." His voice sounded both anticipated and surprised, but also scared.

Kitty sharply inhaled before letting out a scream and throwing a ball of energy at him, engulfing him in an entanglement of it. She felt like a villain doing it, but what else could she do? She had to get out of there.

Kneeling down next to him on one knee, which also made her feel grossly evil, she smiled and said, "You're right. I did do this to myself. And now, you've lost."

And with that, she quickly flew to Thanos's office and rummaged through the drawers and cabinets. She had been out cold for almost a day when Thanos had first taken her, so she was bound to find some of her things in here that she wouldn't have remembered she had brought.

She angrily took her pendant out of a drawer and cursed Thanos, but she never put it back on. Instead, she stared at it for a long while. Inside was a picture of her and Michael. She treasured the picture dearly, but it had been Thanos's fault for him getting sick.

He was poisoned the first time Kitty had tried to betray Thanos. It caused the whole brain abscess thing to happen. There's more to the story, but Kitty's thoughts were cut short when she realised how long she had been standing there. She felt angry at Thanos; he had used Michael to bribe her before.

Without thinking, she balled the pendant in her hand and threw it to the ground and stomped on it. When that didn't do much, she brought it up in the air with her dark energy and slowly tore it apart, a satisfaction growing inside of her. She let the pieces fall to the ground and walked out of the room.

Michael was gone. There was no changing that. But she was no longer going to have the ones she loved turned into bait for Thanos. And to make sure of it, she had to get home.

Home to Nat, who had been her best friend, home to Clint and Sam, who had always tried to include her in their story telling, home to Bucky, who had always told her funny stories about the team, home to Tony, who while he didn't like her much, had always connected with her somehow over sarcasm, home to Wanda and Vision, who always were there to make her feel welcome, and home to Steve. God how she missed him.

She missed the way he would give that cute little smirk when she would say something. She missed how he would laugh at everything. Hell, she even missed his laugh. It was so cute and hearty and... contagious, too. She missed his confused look when she would talk about some modern celebrity and he had no idea who it was. She missed watching him and Bucky reminisce about times during the war.

Kitty laughed as she realised how long she was just... thinking. Longing. Enough to the point that she was almost near the exit of Thanos's base ship.

But there was a problem: she had no way to leave. She couldn't just fly out because she'd die within a little while because of the lack of oxygen in space.

She stopped in her tracks when she heard shouting behind her. "Catch that little twit and bring her back!!!"

Shit. Thanos was free again.

Thinking fast, Kitty flew through the hallways in search of a rescue type thing. Anything. And she found her salvation shortly after.

The travel ship hangar was open and operating. Kitty kissed her luck in thanks and raced inside. Ignoring the shouts behind her, she flew towards one of the ships and opened the ship entrance. Her escape seemed almost too easy...