Chapter 18

I pause for a second and process what my dad said moments earlier. There is no one left from Chicago. If that's the case that means.... Kendall, Marlene and Uriah are all dead. And who did they replace me with? Whoever it was is dead too then. Someone died to keep me safe. I don't move and I don't cry. I just sit still and narrow my eyes at everyone in the room. "Wait I just realized something, you said that you killed everyone in Chicago," I say sternly, "there are innocent people that didn't deserve to die. We have friends in Chicago that you just let die."

"Raven, before we attacked we brought most of the people that weren't working with Christina here. I meant to say that all of the people who are against us aren't left. Of course there was some innocent blood shed, I can't lie, but most people are living safely with us," my dad says. "Did you bring back Kendall, Uriah and Marlene?" I ask. My dad nods. I calm down a little bit.

"The only thing is Peter is in critical condition," he adds. "Peter?" I ask, "Yes. He was the one that volunteered to take your place," he says, "we got him back but he's being treated." My eyes widen, "Will he be okay?" I ask. Caleb opens his mouth to answer but Jared interrupts him. "Of course he will be," Jared says, "that's what you were going to tell her, right Caleb?" Caleb nods.

Jared smiles at me and wraps an arm around me. "Well now that she's caught up on that lets get back to the topic of Panem," my mom says, "Panem is made up of thirteen districts. Since we are low on supplies due to the war each district specializes in supplying things to us, the Capitol. The Capitol also is home to other important people. We wanted to wait for you to wake so that you could be our president." She looks me in the eyes.

I think about it for a second. "I'll do it," I say, "but I want Jared to be my co-president." My mom nods, "Okay," she says. Jared smiles at me. "Weston!" My mom calls, within seconds Weston walks in. He sees me and gives me a quick hug, "Glad you're back," he says. He goes to mom, "Raven agreed, I need you to tell the districts," she tells him. He nods and leaves.

"He's my assistant now," my mom says. "What happened to General Ari and General Cliff?" I ask. "General Ari died during the war, but General Cliff lives here in the Capitol," Caleb answers. "Oh," I say. I really only feel bad for Weston though. "Can I see Peter," I ask, "I don't think you can handle it," Caleb says, "you may be eighteen but you still have the mentality of a fifteen year old."

"I'll allow it," my dad says. I look at him and he seems dead serious about it. "I'll take her," Jared offers and wheels me out of the room and into a hospital room. I see Peter, laying lifeless on a hospital bed. He has tubes everywhere and his skin is scarred and bruised. Jared wheels me closer to him and I see his face, colorless and ragged.

I feel my eyes water and a tear rolls down my face. I hold onto his hand. His hand that was once strong is now weak and lifeless. I try to hoist myself up to sit on his bed. I feel myself cry but I try not to. Jared puts a hand on my shoulder, "He'll be okay," he says, "I promise." People have made so many promises to me. But with every promise fulfilled I've realized that promises come with a price. The room is silent, the only sound being the beeping of Peter's monitor.