Chapter 19

It's been two weeks since I've woken up from my three year coma. Jared and I have been living in what we call the 'Presidential Palace.' I found out that Johanna and Jared have sorted things out, and that Molly left to live in district one while I was in a coma because she wanted to start a new life. I'm still moving around with a wheelchair, so every now and then I do therapy to reteach myself how to walk. For now I've learned how to roll the wheels of my wheelchair to move myself around.

I wheel myself out of my room and go to the makeup room. Petra and Keith are still my hair, makeup and clothing stylists, and apparently the custom of being styled everyday was carried to this new society. Well, it's only like this in the Capitol. Keith lifts me up into the vanity chair and starts working on my makeup.

He does a simple look but does black and ice blue eyeliner. Then he straitens my hair and Petra takes me to the clothing section of the room. She dresses me in an ice blue long sleeve furry top and black ripped jeans. On my feet I just wear simple black flats, it's not like it matters what shoes I wear since I'm not even walking anyway.

I thank them and roll myself out of the room. My hands get tired so every once in a while I stop and rest my fingers. I see Jared pass by, "Hey," I say. He sees me and smiles, "Hey," he says and walks toward me. He gives me a quick kiss. "I need to tell you something," he says. He rolls me outside and doesn't give me time to ask questions.

He stops in a large garden filled with white roses. "Close your eyes," he says, and I close them. "Raven," he says, and I open my eyes. I see him on his knee in front of me, and he takes my hands. "When I first met you, you were the sassiest, brattiest person I'd ever met, and you still are," he starts, and I laugh a little.

"But I went crazy trying to get to know you. Then you finally agreed to talk to me and we became friends, and then of course, I died. But you saved me, as one does for the love of their life. We've literally been through hell and back together, and we have one damn complicated relationship with experiences that no couple has probably ever gone through. I mean seriously, how many couples can say they've gone into combat to revive each other, or get to run a nation together? But now, will you do me one last favor and marry me?" He asks.

I try to control my tears and laughter. I nod, speechless from the beautiful ring Jared has in front of me. He slips it on my finger and kisses me. When we pull back he runs and wheels me inside. "We're getting married!" He shouts, Caleb comes running down the stairs. "What did I just hear? You're getting married?" He asks, and Jared and I nod in unison.

"I'm so happy for you guys," he hugs Jared and then me. "Have you guys told your parents?" Caleb asks. "Told your parents what?" I hear my dad ask. He comes up next to Caleb. "Jared and I are getting married," I say proudly. His face is a mixture happiness and shock. "Wow," is all he can say. Then I see him genuinely smile. He whispers something to Jared and Jared nods. My dad kneels down to my level and kisses my forehead, "I guess you're not thirteen anymore," he says. I smile and hug him.

"Where's mom?" I ask, "She's checking on Peter, I'll go get her, stay here," my dad says. He's gone for almost fifteen minutes and then comes back downstairs with my mom. "They have something to tell you," my dad tells her. "And so do we, but you first," my mom says. I look to Jared, "We're getting married," we say simultaneously. She gasps, "Congratulations," she says and hugs is both. I hear a voice say, "Ugh, so much affection, it's sickening." I see Peter walk up behind my parents.

"Peter!" I shout, his face is still bruised but he looks so much better. My eyes water and I wrap my arms around his neck to keep myself upright. I hold onto him for a long time. "Peter, you're going to be my best man," Jared says. "Hell yeah I am," Peter says. Peter looks back at me, "Hey kid, good to see you finally awake," he says.