Past (How we met)

Michael

I met her at a diner where Jane worked for a while.

*****

Jane's shift just ended so she was all free to hang out with us.

"Thanks." Brandon smiled as Jane tends to his injury that he got while playing basketball.

"Aw, so sweet." Richard joked making fun of the couple's sweetness.

"Hey, Brandon. Want me to kiss your little booboo there?" I chimed in, my voice a little high trying to make out a girly voice.

"Fuck you." He said as he threw fries at me and I tried to catch some with my mouth.

We all had a laugh.

"What are you reading there, Michael?" Ali suddenly asked, making everyone turn to me.

"Yeah. Is there a dirty mag wedged in there or something?" Richard chimed in, trying to have a peek of what I'm reading.

"I bought this book about a week ago for college." I answered.

His eyebrow raised.
"Why you reading it now?"

I looked at him for a while then let out a sigh since I know he will not stop bugging me until I speak.
"Because when classes start, practice, parties and girls are going to take up most of my time.."

"Nerd." He said through a fake cough.

"I'm just flipping through the pages, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible to get me through classes that I will not have time to study for. So can you please fuck off now?"

He laughed once then threw his hand up in surrender.
"I'm just saying; we still have about two months before college starts--we still got plenty time to hang and you'll still have plenty time to go full nerd."

"How many nerd do you know can get so much ass like I do, huh?" I licked my lips, ran my fingers through my hair then winked at the first girl I saw.
She bit her lips and giggled.

"Just look at that. No way Michael Bradford is a nerd. Everyone knows that Michael Bradford listens more to what his dick's gotta say than his brain." Ali said and we all laughed.

*ring ring ring*

I took my phone out of my pocket to see who it was.
My jaw clenched as I read the caller id.

I took a band aid from Jane's kit and used it as a bookmark.

"Just have to get this."

Brandon just nodded as I excused myself from the table.

*****

"Excuse me?"

Her voice was so low I almost didn't hear it. But when I turned around, she was there. Plates in hand, waiting for me to say-or do-something.

Finally, a sound travelled up my throat and out my mouth. I know I said something but I couldn't remember what the fuck it was.

All that I can remember is her.
The way she stood there, unsure of the situation. Her bottom lip was caught between her teeth, her eyebrows drawn together.

She jerked her head towards me, "I need to put these in there."

"Huh?"

"In the kitchen, behind you? I need to put these in there." She said this slowly, as if I she was talking to a child.