Past (Last Chance Prt. I)

Michael

I spent the next day moping around the house like a loser trying to find something that would make time go faster until I picked her up from work.

I have to make it up to her for standing her up yesterday so I went to the store earlier and bought more gummy bears because I gave the ones I bought yesterday to my sister because I wasn't told that we were supposed to buy presents.

I opened the ones I bought earlier and sorted the red ones from the rest. The smug asshole in me was pretty impressed. But the general asshole in me heard the sound of whips in my head.

I don't know how many times I looked at my phone, the wall clock, and my watch just to see the time. I kept looking at the clock, waiting for a good time to leave. I didn't want to show up early and seem too eager. At four forty-five I rushed out the front door and ran to my car but just as I sat down in the driver's seat, I got a call.

I stared at the caller id for a while, thinking if I should get it or not. It was Selena.

Fuck it.

I took a deep breath as I swiped across the screen.

"Hello?"

"Michael?" Her voice sounded hoarse. It was as if she just woke up or she was sick or something.

"Hello? Selena?"

I heard a loud thump and for some reason my heart started racing.

"Selena?!" I was starting to panic.

She wasn't answering.

"Selena!?" I looked at my phone to see if she had hung up but she hadn't.

"Shit. Selena?" Still no answer.

"Fuck. Wait for me. I'll be there."

I hung up, started the engine and immediately dialed 911.

As soon as I hung up and made sure that help was coming, I took time to text Lauren then I drove off.

Michael: Hey. I'm really sorry to do this...something came up and I can't make it. I'll call you later though. Promise.

*****

I finally got to her house.

An ambulance was parked in front and people were everywhere.

I couldn't find any spot to park because of all the neighbors spread across the front yard so I carelessly parked a couple houses before hers, not minding the trashcan that I just knocked over and I got out almost tripping over a few times as I ran to her door.

I made my way through the people but I was blocked by police.

"I have to go in there!" I keep shoving, pushing to get through but they won't let me.

I have to go see her. I have to know if she's okay but this stupid police officer won't let me through.

So I stood there. My hands all shaking, my breathing heavy, my heart's pounding hard that I don't think my chest can contain it much longer.