CHAPTER 6

The princes completed their education under the tutelage of sage Vashishtha. One day while they were still teenagers, the sage Vishwamitra came to king Dasharatha and asked him to send Rama and Lakshmana with him to fight the asuras who were disrupting his yajna. He assured Dasharatha that no harm would come to them. Dasharatha agreed very reluctantly. Rama and Lakshmana accompanied the sage to his ashram and there they safeguarded his yajna by killing the asura lady Tataki and her friends. Vishwamitra completed his yajna without disruption. He was pleased and taught the two brothers some very useful and powerful warfare secrets. The education of Rama and Lakshmana was now complete with the knowledge to deploy many powerful weapons with the help of the mantras that Vishwamitra taught them.

Finally the day of Sita's swayamvar arrived. It was really grand. The decorations were marvelous. A great number of princes from all over the land came to claim Sita.

The arrangements were made according to the couple's plan. The bow was so heavy that it took three hundred men to carry it to the court where the swayamvar was being held.

Sita arrived. She wore a bright attractive sari and was covered with jewels. Everybody present in the were mesmerized by her beauty. No body could match her beauty.....

She pleasantly took over her seat.

Finally king Janak invited and addressed all the Kings present in the court.

"All the great Kings present here, I first of all warmly welcome you all to my daughter's swayamvar. If at all you you wish to claim my daughter Sita, you have to win in a task and the task is - you all can see the bow over there right? So now all you have to do is lift the bow, string it and shoot an arrow."

All Kings started to laugh as they thought the King is very foolish to keep such an easy task. The all were proud of themselves and were quite sure that they can win Sita.

"He is effulgent like the sun. He treats with love this whole of universe;
a Messiah (saviour) to the good and virtuous.
He knows no bias; an ant or a giant the same for him; he helps the poor, distressed and lame. With devotion performs he time-honoured mundane duties and makes others perform; unlike the common royalties.
An expert he's in regal skills and strategies. Respects brahmins; follows age-old customs explains the four Vedas to pandits' eulogies.
Yet so humble and diffident remains our hero. He's broad-shouldered; his hands as long as they touch knees.
His eyes with ruddy tinge exude enamoring ardour for friends and scary fire to enemies.
His neck a conch; his voice the swash of ocean springs. Like skies, blue-skinned he is, with vast benign expanse inside.
Well-built with fine chiselled features;
his walk reminds of lion's strides. He is every limb, aspect and mien display superior royal traits and noble sway. His chest, his wrists and fists are diamond-strong. His hands, eye-brows are long.
His hair-ends, testicles and knees again in equal size, emblazon regal signs. His convex chest, rich navel region his slightly bulged belly muscles, curved throat; his thunderous voice and manly walk, connote so well that he's a true patrician.
His rubicund eye-corners, palms and feet; his rosy nails confirm he's from elite.
His hair and lines on his foot soles
are smooth and indicate he's rich and bold.
His voice, his walk and navel are sublime; the marks of glory, fame and life of prime. He has four lines each on his thumb, forehead, on palms and soles; the signs of a well-read
of one who's an expert in four Vedas
who has long life and whose renown ageless. At ninety-six inches in height, with even shape, with lovely lips, sharp nose, firm chin and sparkling eyes he looks a demigod in super human drape; as men goggle agape and lovely women vie. The vital pairs of limbs fourteen of his body
namely, eye-brows, nostrils, the ears, the lips, the elbows, the wrists, the knees, the hands, the feet, denoting signs of royal life.
He has four long and strong canine teeth; his imperial strides remind of the treads of four imposing animals of pride; the lion, tiger, a bull and elephant; unique and odd.
His style and appearance make him look like a Living God. He and his dear brother look alike, by looks and character, by walk and talk, from front and rear by love and raging ire; by likes and gross dislikes. But he is in nimbus blue, looks like an ebony statue and his brother is like a large nugget in golden hue."
Yes, it is Rama and his brother, Lakshmana!!

Sage Vishwamitra, accompanied by his disciples Rama and Lakshmana, arrived at the swayamvar Hall. The princes, sons of renowned king Dasharath, had conquered many demons (rakshasas). King Janak felt glad at their arrival.

Many noble princes from several kingdoms came aspiring for the hand of the beautiful damsel Sita. But they were awed by the mighty bow and, saluting it turned away.

Vishwamitra told Rama, "Dear Ramachandra, pray to Lord Shiva and take to the bow." Sri Rama bowed to Vishwamitra and offered his respects.
Rama stood up and strolled towards the bow. This handsome young man was immediately noticed by everyone present there. He approached the platform where the bow was placed and with one hand lifted the bow while with the other he set the string on it. All the princes who were present in the court were astonished at the ease with which Rama handled the bow. To their amazement Rama set an arrow in the bow and pulled on it so hard that the bow broke in to two. People in the court were awe-struck. Some clapped their hands while others bent their heads in shame.
Janak declared Rama to be the winner. Sita was very happy because the moment she saw Rama, she had fallen in love with him.
Now, Sita came and garlanded him and accepted him as her husband. The news reached king Dasharatha who rushed to Mithila with his entourage.
Later, Raja Dasharath came to Raja Janak's kingdom of Mithila to talk about the wedding dates and time. This was the time when Rajkumari Urmila was betrothed to Rajkumar Lakshmana. Soon after, The two brothers, Bharat and Shatrughan were fixed to get wedded to Mandavi and Shrutkirti, the daughters of Janak brother Kushadhvaja.
All four couples got ready to get married. It was decided to happen on the same day.

Thus, their marriages were solemnized in a grand manner.

As they sat on the dais, they would not rise their eyes look around or even look at each other. They attentively followed and obeyed the priest directions but kept their eyes lowered in modesty and dignity.

Even when Janak offered Ram Sita hand with his benedictions, Ram did not look at her. This is because Sita would become his wife only after he fill her mang with "Sindoor". Even rest of Ram brother and Sita sister follow same thing .Such was the strict discipline and control exercised in those days.

At the time of the garlanding ceremony, the brothers waited to garland their brides until Ram garlanded Sita. Similarly, the sisters waited till Sita garlanded Ram.

 Similarly, the sisters waited till Sita garlanded Ram

"J A I S I Y A A V A R A"

"J A I S O U M I T R I"

"J a i K a i k e y i p u t r a"

"J a i S u m i t r a n a n d a n"