CHAPTER 11

"Please forgive me Devi....I didn't mean to disagree with your words...I was just trying to tell that no body can harm brother and it's my duty to protect you. Since you want me to go and help Ram I'll go immediately. But please take care of yourself."

"Okay Lakshmana. Now you please go ahead and help your brother."

"Devi... around this small hut of ours...I will draw a line of protection. By this no body will be able to harm you or even cross this line. I request you not to cross this line....be it any reason....till we come please don't cross the line Devi... take care..."

In the forest

In the forest...

"Brother Ram....where are you??? "

Lakshmana kept searching in the forest for his brother. There were no signs of his brother anywhere...

After a long time he heard the cries of some human. Thinking it to be his brother, he rushed towards the way in which he heard the cries.

Meanwhile near the hut...

Sita was waiting anxiously looking towards the way Rama and Lakshmana went.
Then there came a sage-like looking man to her hut and said, "Mother, I come to ask you for some food."
It was not unusual for forest dwelling munis and monks to live on alms. Sita thought that this man at the door of her hut deserved to be treated as a guest and given food.
"Guruji... would you please come inside and take your alms? Since I'm not allowed to cross this line which has been drawn for my protection..."

"How dare you insult me? It's your duty to come out and offer me your offerings. If you do not wish to come out and serve, I'll walk away... then you will have to suffer your entire life time as you have committed a sin of not giving alms to a muni..."

Sita hesitated but she finally agreed to offer him alms by crossing the line.

"Guruji, I'm very sorry. Please excuse me. I'll go and get your alms right away. Please wait for a little while."

" Mother, I have decided not to leave until I finish my work. Take your own time but please don't send me away empty handed."

Sita felt that the behavior of the muni very unusual. She was not completely ready to cross the line to offer him alms....nor was she ready to deny him. She feared that he would curse her or her family. She went into the hut and took the basket of fruits. She also filled a small bowl with rice. When she was about to go out...the rice bowl fell down and all the rice it it scattered around in different directions. She also heard the animals and birds sounded very differently....which was very annoying to listen.
Now she was sure that something bad is going to happen.
She went out with the basket of fruits and stood there hesitatingly.
"Mother, it's not very good to make a monk wait like this. What are you waiting for Devi? Please give me my alms soon so that I can proceed to my other works..."