Monsoon Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Before I could think of anything else, I felt the rage begin again. It knocked the wind out of me. Where was Max? The fury consumed me. I had never felt such hatred, not ever. Then the pain sliced through my shoulder and I screamed. The flesh of my chest was ripping open. Blinding pain followed, but as I looked down I couldn't find not one speck of blood on my chest. What is going on?

"Bring the girl!" a deep voice boomed. It was scary. I was being dragged again. It threw me against the burning hot rocks. I grunted in pain almost losing consciousness.

"Stop it!" a low voice cried. It sounded in pain. I needed to find where it was coming from. I looked all around and that's when I saw it.

The thing standing before me. I couldn't see its face, but the rest of its body....wow. Mostly bone and burnt skin. It was disgusting. The stench it gave off was unbearable. I tried to hold back my vomit. Its broken wings, the biggest I've ever seen. I stood paralyzed. It's fingers, pointy and skinny. Through my blurred vision I could see its deep red eyes. I shuddered as it spoke again.

"The plan succeeded," It said laughing wickedly. The demons surrounding me joined in with its laughter. What plan? "The plan, my dear, to get you down here." I could hear voices all around me. Calling me. Taunting me.

Then it hit me, Max hadn't been calling me. They had. I realized that I was crying, I felt my eyes wet and my vision blurred more. I looked next to the head demon and I saw him. My heart broke to pieces at the sight. My poor Max, dangling above me. Blood, bruises, cuts, everything. What did they do to him? I couldn't take seeing him like this. It hurt too much. Pain shot through my lower chest area and my eyes widened in fear. They weren't hurting me, not physically anyway. There were hurting Max. I watched in horror as one of the demons stabbed him in his lower chest. I was almost certain it was the same spot where I had felt the pain too. I couldn't breathe. Max's face was twisted in pain, but he kept it all in. Why did he have to be so brave? I was struggling to breathe now.

"Please stop!" I managed to get out. I could barely speak. The leader never turned to face me, but he didn't have to for me to know he was paying close attention to me. One of the demons by Max took a stick from the ground, lifted it up and looked at the leader. I had to look at Max now, this could possibly be our last moment together...Alive...Ever. But it can't end like this.

I gathered up all of my energy and with a sudden gust of adrenaline I broke free and ran to Max. If he was dying so was I. The demon was about to strike, but the leader raised its hand to stop it. I froze.

I looked at Max. He looked dead already. Then he spoke softly, his voice barely a whisper.

"I'm so sorry Liza. I'm sorry I put you through this," he said. I could hear the sadness in his voice. No, No, this can't be the end, it just can't be. I carefully lifted my hand to his face.

"I love you Max," I said through teary eyes and a soft voice.

"I love you too," he whispered. He was dying. Somebody should just kill me now too. Then I knew. These things, these demons only wanted one thing. Souls. They found about me and Max and now he was paying for it. But should he be the only one?

Right then I knew what I had to do to save Max, to save us. I turned just as the demon had lifted its hands to plunge the stick through the both of us.

"Wait!" I screamed. They all stopped. I felt Max freeze behind me.

"No Liza. Don't," he said as he read my mind. "No don't do that!" he said hastily.

"I'm not staying here without you," I said without looking at him. My eyes were fixed on the leader.

"I'll make you a deal," I said. It was in front of me in a second. I took a deep breathe. Big mistake. I threw up in my mouth. I couldn't see its face because, again, the smell was making my vision blurry. Good thing to, I had the sickest feeling in my stomach that if I could see its face, I wouldn't even be able to breathe. I swallowed back any fear I had and spoke.

"You-u let him l-live," I stammered, "and I'll give you my...soul." I hesitated on the last word.

"Stupid girl," the leader said.

"Liza don't," Max said, his voice sounding more terrifying then. The demons behind him were laughing. I heard a piercing scream as everything started spinning. Laughter, screams and an echo. Those were the last things I heard before everything went black.

In my unconscious stage, I was in a dream and in a dream I was trying to escape from the demon in my view. I remember I couldn't get out of that dream. It had been so heavy and deep. I woke up twice and Max had been waiting for me to wake up. I was so caught on remembering the past that I forgot I had that dream this morning. Silly Liza. I was immediately brought back to reality and there he was, in my arms.

I found it hard to believe that a few moments ago I was in hell. Max looked at me and laughed. What was so funny now?

"Actually you've been sleeping for the past three days," he said coolly.

"Three days?" I echoed. Wow.

"I can't believe you did that. I'm hardly worth your soul," he said quietly.

"Well I did," I said sitting up on my bed. He smiled and I swear if I had a heart it would have stopped. Wait. Am I a demon now too? I looked down, I felt different. Indestructible in a way. I walked over to the mirror and gasped. My eyes were turning full black kind of creepy.

My face was flawless, my hair, my entire body was...

"Beautiful? Gorgeous?" Max said finishing my sentence. "I haven't decided yet. Breathtaking maybe." He smiled at me, but I was still in shock. Was I dead? Would I be a full demon now? Would I attack everyone and everything in my sight? I realized I wasn't breathing, but I didn't have to. I looked around. Max read my thoughts.

"No you're not a full demon yet, but you are dead now," he said grimly. He took me into his arms and hugged me tightly. I looked up at him.

Though I knew Max inside and out, there was still one thing I wanted-no-NEEDED to know. He looked at me as if I had asked him out loud. We sat down on the bed and he began to tell his story.