-Prologue-

"Alphys, I need you to bring me vial P62." You instructed.

"Weren't you gonna t-test P61 today?" Alphys countered.

"Yeah, but I took care of that last night."

Alphys gave you a disapproving look. "You can't keep working late nights like that (Y/N). You're gonna mess up your body."

You rolled your eyes and retrieved the vial. "Why would I bother sleeping when I feel wide awake?" You asked.

Alphys sighed and shook her head. "Next time you p-pull that I'm gonna make Sans b-bring you home." Alphys threatened.

You growled lowly. "Fine, I won't stay late again." You promised.

Alphys grinned and handed you a few tools for applying the contents of the vial. "What's the concentration of this vial again?" You asked Alphys.

"T-That vial is 100% pure determination. Try not to use it all! W-We only have so much. I-It's very rare!"

You raised a brow. "How did we even get it?"

"A-A few people signed up for donations after they died. They wanted their soul to go to a c-cause."

You grinned. "Glad more people are accepting the monsters." You chirped, turning back to your experiment.

The goal was to create an artificial soul. Alphys and you had been working on the experiment for a little less than a year by now, but the effort was still very much alive. Using a pipette, you gently dropped bits of the determination into your concoction. If you put too much in, it could cause catastrophic damage.

After the third droplet, the mixture started to swirl and change. You drew back slightly as Alphys and you examined the reaction. Complete silence fell from your mouths. After a solid minute you sighed and picked up the pipette again.

"I'm going to trying slowly adding more." You informed Alphys, hovering the concoction.

"(Y/N), that's not safe! What if it reacts violently?!" Alphys panicked.

You waved off the notion and carefully added a few more drops. It started to glow a deep, saturated red and a grin painted your face. "Alphys, I think it's-"

In a sudden burst, you were knocked back from the desk. Alphys cried out as you felt your body fizzed out of existence...