~17~

I took out my iPhone from my right front pocket, glanced at it intending to see the time. To my utter surprise,the battery had died. I just made a mental note that I had to charge it whilst driving.

The sound of the choppers were now indistinct,only the voices of the villagers who were now walking towards the shrubs at the periphery of the shopping mall's yard onto the foot paths that led to their respective homes. They were busy talking about what they have seen and heard the whole day. I knew it was going to trigger gossip in the town and across the country.
Those who knew me came to greet me as I walked back to our cars. One of them offered to give me a goat,saying I would have to eat some meat to regain the worn out body tissues. I tried to refuse his offer but he seemed unfazed and insisted. I then told him we were about to leave,and he said his home was some metres away and he would return before I even reach the cars. We just laughed at that because it wasn't possible. I didn't know the reason behind his generosity. Maybe he just liked me, just like the other people in the farms,who used to give vegetables and fruits free of charge. Most of the people had their relatives who work for me at the factory or in the raspberry farms.

When I returned to the vehicles, my wife was waiting for me with her arms akimbo,immediately I held a concerned look. What was bothering her?What have I done wrong?

"Charlly!Why didn't you tell me you had an accident before you reached here?"She asked.
"What made you say so?"I questioned.
" Your car,sweety!It looks like it has crushed into a tree. What happened?"She continued.
"Oh!That one!I'm not the one who did that to it,Bastion's scoundrels did that to it. Thank God they didn't make the tyres flat. It would have been another problem right now."I told her. Melinda was now beside her. Her grandmother and uncles were leaning beside my car. They were busy talking about the things that had happened.
"Ok!I thought you had something to do with the dented side and the shattered wind screen. You are now out of my jail."She acknowledged. We all laughed at her joke.

We were all startled by the blurting of a goat. The man holding the goat was profusely panting,dragging the beast towards us. I started to smile at him,telling him I thought he was lying. He told us he wasn't the type of man,as he greeted my wife and Melinda in the process. He handed me over the rope that bound the goat by its neck,he proceeded to go and greet the others. Meanwhile, I was telling my wife and Melinda the reason why we have been given the goat. They both grinned. When he returned from the greeting,we all thanked him for his generous heart. He was a true village man.

"By the way,what's your name,Sir?We guess we haven't met before."I asked.
"Yeah!We haven't. Name is Brighton Kasmas. My father works for you at your factory in town,he always say you are a good man,together with your wife. So,when I saw you here I was happy. I was on my way to see you at your office in town. I have just got married and I'm not employed. So I'm looking for a job, either at a factory or in the raspberry fields."
We all listened thoughtfully at the man's story. He really needed help. That is one of the things I'm good at. My wife looked at me to respond.

"Ok!Its fine,tomorrow I won't be in town. I'm going to town with my wife,so since today is Friday, you can come to my office on Tuesday. If I got busy,I will tell my H.R manager to give you a job in the factory,so you can learn from your father."I told him. The man was about to give a hug,upon hearing this,he restrained himself because of the respect he rendered on me.
He jumped,saying many thank you. We all smiled. I then told him that when you are given a job you have to keep it. He promised he was going to keep it just like his wife at home. We all laughed. We then congratulated him for his marriage He seemed a good and understanding man. I immediately liked him.

The man said his goodbyes and I carried the goat to my truck. I tied it to the tent hooks at the sides of truck, so it won't jump over when I will be driving. One of Melinda's uncles came and offered to hold it still while we will be on the road. I was about to tell him it wasn't necessary for we were heading home, which was an opposite direction to theirs,when my wife came and told me we were going to Melinda's granny homestead.

I didn't argue,since I knew well it had been already discussed when I wasn't there. I really wanted to go home and rest,my body and mind were now feeling so exhausted. I then saw it was also necessary to drive the family home. It seemed not right to let them walk home,especially Melinda and her granny. My wife was right and always is.

My wife,Melinda and her granny went to my wife's car and they all hopped inside. My wife and Melinda sat side by side,with Tootsie in between them,her granny was in their rare. Melinda's uncle,who had just told me his name,Joshua,got to the back to hold the goat. His elder brother,Michael sat at the passenger seat beside me. I then went to my wife's car and told them to put on the seat belts. The engine of her BMW roared to life,and she pulled away from the parking lot,off the road towards the farms.

I took a moment to look thoughtfully at the gutted shopping mall before I got into the car to follow my wife. I then turned to the car,and removed the gadgets which were on my driver's seat and put them at the seats behind us. I had to ask Melinda to go with the cellphones in the black plastic bag to the local police station. I didn't want to give them to the police commander because I didn't trust him. They way he had taken Bastion's gadgets was very queer.

I hopped into the car,put on the seat belt,and instructed Michael to do the same. I ignited the engine to life and drove away,following my wife who was now some metres away. I connected my iPhone on the travelling charging pack on the dash board. The air-conditioning roared to life and we felt its cooling breeze blasting us from above. It compelled me to put some gospel music as I drive on the rugged farm roads.

FROM THE AUTHOR: Thank you for reading!If you have enjoyed the story,please remember to vote and feel free to comment below. Note: All comments,good/bad,are also very welcome. I'd really like to know what you think. It would mean a lot to me as a budding writer, and may help my career.

Please remember to share the story to others!