Chapter 11

"The water's always changing, always flowing. But people, I guess, can't live like that." --Disney's Pocahontas

Elsa

 I watched as Ursa waved her arms in a dramatic flourish and sent thousands of tiny ice crystals from the top of her scepter into the air. The crystals glittered in the air above our heads a moment, gathered into a group, and then clumped together like a flock of birds to form a shape: a silver oval mirror.

 "What is it?" I asked, staring at myself warily through the floating mirror. Something about the reflection looked off, like something much more dangerous was hiding behind it.

 "It's just a little mirror, silly. Because if you're going to be a queen, you have to look like one." Ursa smiled warmly and sent the empty scepter floating through a foggy door in the corner. Within a moment, a pure white gown had wound its way down my body, covering up my wedding bodice and makeshift slacks. The dress had a high collar encircling my neck, silken swags along the skirt, and no gloves. It was much more elaborate than anything I'd ever attempted. 

 I looked up at my reflection and gasped. Twinkling stones edged my eyes, which somehow looked clearer and brighter. My hair was pulled up into a swirled bun and it trailed down longer than before. "I'm so proud of you, my dear." I watched Ursa's face slide into the frame as she wrapped an arm around my shoulders. It took me back to the time when Jack had done the same in what he'd called a drive-in movie theater. The memory shook me out of my stupor so I could look away from the mirror.

 "Thank you, but I don't need any more elaborate dresses," I shook my head. "I just want to learn from you, about my parents, about my powers, everything." Ursa inclined her head.

 "All will come in good time, darling. Though the delicacy of creating clothing is the first step to unlocking your potential." I nodded.

 "When you say I can do even more than I've learned, do you mean controlling winter animals?" I glanced over at the two polar bears guarding the door to the small room we practiced in. 

 "That is part of it, yes," she told me. "It's the same as reaching out to snow particles, except it's more...delicate. Gentle. Anything belonging to the snow...belongs to us." She demonstrated this, eyes narrowed in concentration. 

 My breath hitched when one of the bears hefted itself onto its hind legs, roaring. The noise sounded more frantic than threatening. Suddenly, it charged the other bear with its head down. The two massive piles of fur clawed mercilessly at each other, gnashing their thick teeth. I looked away when I saw blood drawn.

 "Stop! Please," I shouted. The polar bears froze mid-brawl. 

 "Dearest, you're going to have to get used to a little fighting if you're going to control your own minions one day," Ursa raised her eyebrows.

 "Minions? Don't you think it's cruel to control these animals? It's not like you really need them, and it's just a tax on your energy to maintain power constantly." 

 "You don't think I can control them?! I can do this and so much more!" As if to prove her point, she pointed a finger at the bears, spurring them into rolling onto each other in their aggression. At the same time, she curled her hand into a tight fist in front of her. Just then, a tugging sensation exploded within my rib cage and I was lifted into the air. I remained in the air for a couple breathless seconds, before Ursa dropped me back down gently. There was fear in her eyes.

 When I'd turned my attention back to the bears, the aftermath of the fight met my eyes. 

 One bear was lying on the ground, dead. Its fur was split with huge, raw gashes and splatters of scarlet. The foggy eyes stared up at nothing. The other bear began to rub ferociously at its blood splattered muzzle until it had scratched its own face up. 

 Ursa scurried to me and knelt down to wrap me up in her arms. A feeling of warm contentment fell over me.

 "Oh, I'm so sorry darling! I never wanted to hurt you. I suppose even I can lose control." She hugged me tighter. I heard the strain of tears in her voice. She stopped to hold my face, looking into my eyes with a surprising tenderness. "I'm growing worse and worse every day. Luckily, you will soon take the throne." I slowly returned the hug, remembering how afraid I'd been to hug my own mother. 

 I looked over Ursa's shoulder, seeing an empty wall where the bear's corpse and its distressed killer had been.