Chapter 15

"Let's get down to business, to defeat the Huns." --Disney's Mulan

Elsa

I fell asleep in front of my map, unaware of the time and nervously anticipating my plan of action. All I knew was that when I woke up, Balder the wolf was trying to sit up stiffly. I kept my hands around his sides and gingerly forced him back down.
"Do you want to injure yourself further?" I muttered. He fell back down with a huff, which at least meant he had recovered enough to be restless. I lifted my blue blanket to look at his wounds. They had stopped bleeding, and I could now see they weren't incredibly deep.
Cold.
The deep voice penetrated my skull once again. I tried to rub down his body, but I knew it was to no avail. "I'm sorry. All I can manage is keeping you cold."
* * *
"Hey! I know you bears! I have to use the bathroom!" I shouted at the doors of the cell. It was something I remembered from Jack: "Need an excuse for them to open the doors? Just ask to pee." Though I wasn't used to the vulgarity of that wording.
To my relief one of the bear heaved open a door before long. A quizzical expression bent his face unnaturally. The other one lumbered closely behind, as if it had to hear this to believe it.
I smiled innocently, hands behind my back. "When you gotta go, you gotta go." Finally, heart beating wildly, I nodded at Balder. He slammed the door behind them with a spray of snow and a clunk. The bears' growls bubbled from within their throats. The flapping of feathers rushed into my ears, from the aggressive snow birds guarding the above niches. "Wait! Please, I know I'm an enemy, but I also know you're suffering." I spread my arms in surrender. Balder nodded his head.
One bear swivelled its head between Balder and me while the other one looked intently up at the other animals. "We can defeat her, but only if we work together."
Can't. Under her control. The thought rumbled into my mind. Somehow I knew it had come from the bear on my right. "I understand. Do you know if there's any way to reverse that?" I bit my lip. The same bear that had spoken--if that's what you'd call it--stepped forward with her eyes closed. Her fur quivered with the sheer weight rolling off her.
You may be able to fight her power. Please...try. Please. She bowed her head. I hesitated, confused. Several speckled birds flew down and landed on the ground with cocked heads. Maybe you can, Balder sounded. He nosed my hand and rested it on the bear's forehead, my thumb on the muzzle. I wasn't sure I was strong enough, but it was my only chance. I had to hope that Ursa's
I closed my eyes in concentration. The tingling feeling I'd been missing spread from my fingertips to the mammal's head.
Feeling around in the darkness, I felt a sense of warmth and energy. In the middle of it, though, seemed to be a dark knot of tension, holding the energy back. It was hard to describe. I yearned to unwrap the knot, but I stepped back and opened my eyes. "I'm so sorry," I told everyone. "But if I want to beat her, she can't know my intentions. When the time comes and I've weakened her, you all must be ready." I swallowed; they could all still rip my throat out. "Lady Pitchiner!" I yelled at the air. "I know you're there somewhere."
After a few seconds, she slinked out from nowhere, making the animals part a path for her.
"Finally figured it out, girl?" She smirked.
"Yes."

* * *

Ursa sat stock-straight on her throne with eyes forward when Pitchiner slammed the doors open with enough force to bounce off the walls. She entered, holding me by the arm. I bowed my head in what I hope looked like respect.
"My dear! I'm so glad you've reconsidered. I was worried there for a moment; I hate having to lock you up. Now, Lady Pitchiner, could you give us some privacy?" Ursa smiled giddily and waved the bowing woman out of the room. Then the queen leaned her scepter against the wall, rushing down the smooth platform. My shoulders stiffened.
The stiffness melted away, though, when we embraced. "I hope you can forgive me, darling," she said.
"All is pardoned," I assured. "I know it was necessary 'for the good of the crown'." I recited one of my queenly lessons, trying to make my smile reach my eyes. It seemed to satisfy Ursa.
"Now," Ursa held my hands in front of her. "I brought you out because I thought you might like a little fun before tonight."
"Fun?" I was caught off guard.
"Yes. I've packed us a little lunch"--a large basket weaved of ice slid into her fingers--"and we can talk over a picnic, without any mention of the throne." I smiled, surprised that she knew exactly how to make me feel better.
It's all manipulation, I reminded myself.
So we sat down on a blanket and Ursa passed me some silver utensils. The throne room was empty, even of the polar bear guards.
"Do you know how long it took to build this fortress?" I started the conversation with a bite of a sandwich that tasted warm and woods-y.
"Legends of the family say that it took four generations of construction and rebuilding," she answered. I swallowed and nodded. She set her shining chalice down and twirled her fingers lazily over the ground, spinning a pile of snow into existence. Her nimble fingers rolled together a tiny snowman. She flicked the leftover snow in her hand into my face.
I giggled, sending a scoop of snow into her face without thinking. For a second, I was scared she'd freak out. But a smile split her face. Then, a snowball hit mine. Pretty soon we were tripping over our gowns to chase each other with the balls of ice, laughing.
I finally collapsed back on the blanket. Ursa knelt down as well. Once we'd calmed down and the flush left our cheeks, I realized that Ursa was smiling faintly at me.
"What is it?"
"You would like a more wintry world, wouldn't you?" She asked me.
"What do you mean?" I fiddled with my hair nervously.
"Well, you rule however you choose of course, but...I was thinking that today we could make that world." I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "My plan...was to make it winter...everywhere, around the world!"
"You want to throw the world into eternal winter?" My eyes widened.
"Yes, darling. After all, then everyone will have to see things from our point of view! You had the right idea with the Freezing. Who could defy us then? "Now her eyes were wide and her face was animated.
"Oh...that sounds nice." I wasn't sure what else to say because her words scared me.
It was clear that as sad as it was, Ursa could not be given any more power.

~Literally the worst part about writing this story is the fact that auto correct keeps changing Ursa's name to Iraq.