Chapter Two

I couldn't stop thinking about Calvin. He seemed a nice guy. I admit that but after all the times of friend betrayals, I can hardly trust someone now. I decided I needed opinion. From gran. After school I rushed home. I went through my usual mom interrogations. She usually asked about school and I usually gave her monosyllabic answers. Again, don't get me wrong. I love and care for her. But, her strictness comes as a barrier to my being open to her. Not that she screamed or shouted at me all the time but well....I just didn't like talking much to her. Dad was at work. So I rushed to grandma.

"Gran?" I peeped inside her room. "Ann? Come in dear. How many times do I tell you that you dont ask permission from me!?" I smiled. "Gran, I need to talk." "Sure!"

I recounted all I could remember to her and asked,"He seemed genuine, you know. The type of genuinity you feel when you look at the grass or the morning flowers. He behaved as if he knew how well we were to get along. But having stayed alone half my life, gran, I have just no idea how to break the walls of isolation and welcome someone in. What do I do?"

She listened to my every word then looked straight at me. "Trust your instincts," she said,"and for once give someone a chance. How long are you going to stay like that? Friends are not only for going to parties and all, they are meant to be a support. They are for helping you in your times of ordeal. Give this person a chance. At the end of the day, its your choice when you leave. Whenever you feel unhappy, walk away."

"Not that I need someone. I have you", I said. "Not for long dear. Not for long",said gran. Listening her speak of her death breaks me. It's the worst part of life I think. To sit and wait for your death. To watch it coming nearer every breath. To welcome death. I'm sure I'll never turn like that. I hope that one day I just die. Without any pre-warnings. So that neither I nor my family can wait for my departure.

I turned to her and snapped,"You aren't going anywhere,okay? You can't just keep on thinking about your escape! Okay??" I blinked back some threatening tears. She looked sad and smiled a melancholy smile and said," Everyone walks out of life,dear. Sooner or later."

My optimist gran has changed. Because of whom? Because of death. And listen death, before you take my gran into your realms of oblivion, I want a showdown.

Well...why not? Why can't we progressed humans beat this shrowdy, invisible reality called death? Why does it have to always win?

I went back to bed later that night with a churning cyclone of thoughts in my head. But, even amongst all these burning questions, I was sure of something. Or say someone.

Calvin.