Chapter Six

It isn't possible. It isn't right. How could my parents even consider such a thing without my consent? I could hardly keep my calm. I was going to lose it and yell at them and point out how ridiculous the idea was. After a very extravagant silence, I chose to utter my words of reaction. I meant to say so much and blow up this freaking world, but ended up squeaking only a "No. I'm not going anywhere." That definitely wasn't a very strong standpoint. I stared hard at my parents, I wanted to make them understand the evident hurt inside me. They should know their mistake. "But dear," my mom just started trying to put sense into my one track mind but my dad's phone started ringing. What a savior it proved to be! My dad received it and nodded and said his thankyou-s and said he'll reach immediately. Was it the hospital? Must be good news! My dad was obviously pleased.

My dad confirmed my suspicions. Apparently, gran had come back to consciousness and was doing well enough. She was to be discharged day after. I swear I forgot for a moment that my days here at home are limited.

We went to the hospital as early as possible. My parents went in first. I opted to go alone at the end as I had to speak to gran. I needed her presence. Badly. After my parents came out, I walked in. Gran was propped up on the bed. Fatigue adorned her head to toe. I went up to her and hugged her tight and said," Oh gran! You know how worried we were!? It's such a relief to see you well. Don't leave us like that ever again,okay?" She smiled and said," Next time I leave, I'll bid my goodbyes to you, sweet. I promise."

I sat down near her and told her everything mom had explained. She gave me a pitiful smile and said," I'm so sorry to hear that. But Ann, I knew it. And, I think it's good for you. You need to put extreme effort for your future career from now. This is a crucial time. It's make or break. You have got to make your future. You can't always dwell on today. What's important is your future. When there will be no me and no parents. Where it will be only you and the world. Don't think ill of us. We love you dear." "But gran, you? Mom? Dad? Calvin??" "You love him don't you?"

That was unexpected. She caught me off guard. But really? Do I? This hollow voice deep deep inside mesaid yes. That was perhaps the feeling I was trying to understand but couldn't express it. Love? Really? This boy was actually instilling in me typical teenagerish stuff. I coloured. I could feel it.

"Yes. Maybe. I just realised." "You haven't told him yet?" "Of course not!" "You should." "No!" I actually shouted! I thought a bit then said," I'm nothing that important for him. He'll just find it a burden. I do want him to KNOW but I don't want to TELL him. To add on to everything, I'm going. I hardly have time left!" "So what? Do you think distance actually counts? The day I die, would you stop loving me only because you can't feel me around you? Listen Ann, life is short. Time runs out in a blink. Think about what I said." Huh? I was a swirling mass of turbulent thoughts when my phone rung. I saw it was Calvin. I received it.

"Hey Calvin."
"Ann, what is it?? Where the hell have you disappeared? What did you mean by problems? Tell me!"
"Calvin. Let's meet today. At my house. I can explain."
"Huh. Alright. Bye."
"Bye."

Maybe he did care. My gran smirked and said," I want to meet that child. Awfully." "I'll bring him today."

As I walked out, I wondered. Maybe confessing my feelings wasn't that bad an idea. But could I face a rejection? Maybe. Maybe not. But I do agree with gran.

Life is unpredictable.
Unexpected.
Unusual.

Time was running out.