Frenemies

Authors Note: So it's been like 2 years since I've updated, I'm so so so sorry I completely forgot about it!!! I was going through my laptop and found this chapter I wrote ages ago so here it is!

(The Monday Morning After The Party)

My eyes shutter open at the laughs of kookaburras from outside the cloth-clad window. Dim light surges through the shutters and that's when realization hits me in the face... No wait, that's not realization, that's the back of my mother's hand. Crap!

"Were you drinking? What drugs were you on? Why would you sleep with a guy at the age of 14! What is wrong with you?" a voice screeched, seething my already damaged ears.

"I didn't do anything," I mumbled into my pillow, willing her to disappear.

"What do you mean you didn't do anything? I got a call from Amber's mother explaining all about the party situation. That's right she ratted you out," my mum accused. I snapped out of my daze and stared at her, shock overcame me as I barked.

"What the hell did that bitch say?" I know that's no way to talk about your best, and let's face it, only friend.

"Her mother found an empty condom packet in her room. Amber spilled the beans and told her about you and Chris, how you were drinking and being, well, intimate."

"Oh my god! Some friend Amber is! She was the one who got quite close and personal with a guy, and that guy was her boyfriend, Ethan! She's the one who should be getting shouted at, not me!" Shit. I regretted the words but I couldn't stop them tumbling out of my drool stained lips. Yes I was just telling the truth but I could've blamed it on some random couple that was at the party, not my best friend... Ex best friend.

"Oh. Well then. Get up; it's time for school. And don't talk to that, that, skank!" Her words were a bit harsh although buried in the back of my mind I had thought the exact same thing.

I hesitantly stepped onto the dilapidated school bus, hoisting up my navy plaid skirt, so it only brushed my knees, and attempting to primp my limp locks. It was only then I realized I had simultaneously ruined all my friendships in one foul swoop. Ok, so technically it wasn't my fault that Chris was horny, although I did egg him on, and that Amber was a backstabbing bitch with a fuck boy boyfriend. I had to talk to them and at least try to patch things up... well maybe slap them and then talk to them.

I shuffled down the centre of the bus, staring at my shoes, only lifting my head when I arrived at the empty space next to Chris.

"Um, can I sit here?" I queried, nervous.

He was too engrossed in the new Ed Sheran album to hear me. I tapped him on the shoulder, repeating the question. He seemingly jerked awake, shocked by my presence.

"Oh, um, yeah, sure," he stuttered. Damn he was cute, why did that night have to happen. I sat fairly calmly then endured an awkward silence before finally building up the courage to break it.

"So... I'm sorry," I didn't know why I was apologizing but hopefully it gave him the hint that it was his turn to apologize for his infidelity.

"You shouldn't have to apologize, you didn't do anything wrong," He offered a sad yet still genuine smile, I return it. Beginning to feel more comfortable I perched my severely hair sprayed head into the crook of his neck.

"You know Amber lied about it being her that was sleeping around, blamed the whole thing on me in the end, mum went ballistic," I laughed a little when I said it, somehow, in the past couple of days Amber had turned from my best mate to some 2 dollar hoe, at least in my mother's mind... maybe even in mine.

"Ha," he stifled a laugh. "Bit of a dick move, but she was just trying to save herself, and stop her dad from murdering Ethan! I'll have a word to Etho though, see if he can convince her to come around." As he talked he became rigid under the touch of my hand that I had subtly slipped inside his. Suddenly, he shifted away from me.

"What was that," I queried, worry clear in my tone.

"Nothing, it's just... Nothing," He trailed off, unable to finish his seemingly controversial thought.

"It's just what Chris?" I stood, baffled.

"Um, I'm not sure if we should, you know, be together anymore."

"What do you mean? We've only gone out like twice!"

"I'm not sure if a relationship is in my best interest right now. I didn't know how to tell you but a star talent agency signed me up after my stint on The Voice Kids, Ethan too. They set us up with this other singer Jakob, I've only met him once but he seems pretty cool! We're starting a band..."

"But what does that have to do with me? With us!"

"Apparently it's better for publicity if we seem single, available to the fans and stuff."

"Since when have you been the type to follow the rules, you always did things your own way and now you're just going to let management tell you what to do and how to run your life!"

"It's not just me, Ethan's breaking up with Amber too. This is our chance Liz. Our chance to have hit singles on the radio, tours, worldwide music domination! I'm sorry but, I can't do that if I'm with you, I can't always be looking back on my past."

"We've been friends for years, what are we going to be now... Nothing?"

"I'll still see you round, I do have to attend school for a few more years."

"Will we ever be "allowed" to be together?"

"I don't know, but I think maybe you are a bit too young for me, you should probably date someone your own age, a rebound or something." He looked down, attempting to hide his ashamed appearance.

"You're one year older than me! And what happened to age not mattering, you not being any more experienced than me?"

"Things change, I'll see you round Liz." And with that he stood and headed for the opening bus doors, walking right out of my life. Little did I know then that I wouldn't speak to him, or Ethan for that matter, for a very long time.

Weeks turned into months and soon a year had passed and not even a slight nod in the corridors, not that he was a regular at school anyway. I guess he was right about never looking back at his past; he certainly never looked back at me...

Author's Note: Holy shit I actually updated WHAT!!! Ok so since I started writing this story ages ago back when Chris and Ethan were solo artist's and a lot younger I think after this chapter I'm going to do a time jump so they're older and I'm going to add Jakob and make it an In Stereo fan fiction so it will be more interesting and accurate. If you guys have any ideas for what I could write and how the story could go please comment or send me a private message!

Thank you to everyone who's stuck with the story even though I suck at updating!!!

From Bronte <3