Leaving Scars

Elizabeth's POV

I flipped out when I tried on the outfit that Amber had picked out for me. It was so short and revealing, I couldn't imagine being seen in public wearing it. 

"Come on, the shorts are longer than mine. They're totally in this season"

"Yeah, as in, in my butt crack!"

"The bikini matches your skin tone perfectly and those shorts are the most conservative shorts my mother's store sells so either put it on or go swimming in your underwear."

"Fine."

"Excellent!"

.....................At the beach......................

I have to admit, Amber is quite the fashion godess. Between her skills with the make-up brush and her pashion for fashion she could turn golem into gaga in an instant. And that's exactly how I felt. I was wearing pale wash denim shorts and a white, high-low, flowy tank top with silver thongs to top off the look. Amber had gone for a far more covert look that consisted of a grey loose t-shirt that was tucked into high waisted, dark wash, denim shorts and her feet were adorned with designer, black, flat sandals. We waited at the cafe until the boys arrived. They were both in their boardshorts and Chris had on his signature green t-shirt.

We dumped our bags on the sand and all of a sudden I felt really self conscious. I would be wearing nothing but a bikini! I was still standing there in my clothes about a minute after Amber and Ethan had striped off and started splashing in the water. Chris still hadn't takenhis shirt off either and to be honest I was kind of holding my breath.

He noticed how uncomfortable I was and said. "Would it be easier if I turned around?"

"No I'm just being stupid," yet I still didn't lift my shirt.

"You know you're not the only one who's uncomfortable showing their body," he calmly responded.

"I know there are heaps of other people out there... Wait, what?" I sudently realised how awkward he looked.

"Did you notice how I still have my shirt on."

I couldn't believe it! Chris Lanzon! Top 6 of the Voice Kids Australia! Crush of practically every teenage girl in Australia, was insecure about his body? How is this even possible?

"We could do it together," I suggested, instantly regretting my choice of words.

"I suppose," he replied looking awfully sheepish.

He slowly lifted his shirt to reveal a nice looking body, not entirely ripped as I had been expecting but fit  and fairly hot but that was until I noticed a long scar running along the side of his body. 

"Oh my gosh! What happened?" I said worriedly.

"It's a story I'd rather not tell. Even to my closest friends," he said. Dammit! He thinks of me as only a friend. "It's your turn now," he said raising his eyebrows. I raised my shirt above my head to reveal a bright red, bandeau bikini top with halter neck straps. My entire upper body is completely flat so luckily I didn't have to worry about looking fat only the no boobs part. I then pulled down my shorts in a flash to reveal matching bottoms then I sprinted twards the ocean leaving Chris in my wake. He quickly ran in after me and we laughed and splashed for what seemed like hours. 

....................................................

It was well past six when we headed for home so it was starting to get dark. We all lived in slightly different directions so as I headed off towards my house I didn't expect to hear Chris saying. "Hey Liz, wait up."

"No one calls me that anymore and what are you doing here?" I said without even turning around.

"I wanted to make sure you got home safely. It's dark and dangerous out here at night."

"Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I need protecting."

"I know it's just... I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you." At that my face turned the same colour as my bikini, luckily I was still turned away.

"What I'm saying is, Liz, I really care about you and I wouldn't want anything to hurt you." I must have looked a little confused because he added. "I really like you, Liz. Will you go out with me?" 

He looked so nervous and then when I didn't respond he looked heart broken. Then I did the only thing a girl can do when they need to convince a boy that they really like them. I pulled him in for a warm embrace and then pecked him on the cheek. I should've kissed him on the lips but I'm only 14!

"Is that a yes?" he asked hopefully.

I took a deep breath and said. "It's a maybe." I then turned on my heel and walked the rest of the way home by myself while the whole time regretting not just saying yes.