Chapter Three

At my house all the lights were off, everyone on the street had their lights off which told me that it must be late. Very carefully and very quietly, I unlocked the door and slowly opened it and slowly and quietly closed and locked it. A light turned on in the living room beside the door.

Mom was on the couch with her arms crossed.

"Do you have any idea how late it is young lady?" She only calls me that when she's seriously pissed.

"I'm sorry mom. I lost my phone." I trying not to sound sour. Out of everything that happened, coming home late is the least of my concern.

She sighed. "Doesn't Kyle have a phone? And do you-"

"Who's Kyle?" I said dramatically, as I always do when there's someone I hate or wish to forget.

Mom's attitude changed. "What happened?"

"What do you mean? I told you I was going to the movies after school. But then after words this asshole tried raping me!" I fought to hold back tears I thought I'd have to act out. "What's worse is that he even stole my phone..." now I was crying and I could hear dad and my brothers waking up.

Mom came and hugged me." Baby, where'd he touch you? What did he do?"

I told her what happened. "B-but I'm fine... there was this guy who saw the whole thing and beat him up. He walked me home."

"What was his name?"

"I-I don't know, I forgot to ask." I usually don't lie and when I do I'm terrible at it, but whatever told me inside to not tell mom was enough to make me tell this one and make it believable.

By this time dad and Matthew came down to. Both with intentions of murdering Kyle and... wait no just murder. Matthew took me to my room trying to calm himself and me down.

"You sure you're okay Sky?" He calls me "Sky" when trying to comfort me.

I nodded and went to my room and laid down on my bed going over everything myself in my head. I reached in my pocket and pulled out the black feather, Marcus's silhouette covering the moon came to mind, but now doubt fill my mind. That was him I saw, right? It wasn't some bird or bat? I sigh and pick up one of my books. Wanting to read rather than have an argument with myself. I didn't read for long and soon found sleep.

*

I was flying with a pair of hawk-like wings, which is quite normal in my dreams, but this was in so much detail. Marcus was there, flying with black wings. There was a small girl with blonde hair and white wings. Another girl, a little younger than me, with pink and so many others. All different ages, all different wings, and some were even different ethnicity.

Marcus looked at me and said something, but I couldn't hear it. There was no sound in the dream. I nodded and tried staring at anything but the approaching water.

I heard something, but I didn't, my dream-self did and I looked back. I shouted to the others as three large helicopters armed with guns were heading our way.

There was a sound of a bird and I quickly turned my head to it. The only sound in the dream was from a see-through hawk. It called out to me but I couldn't understand it. Was I suppose to?

Pain shot through my left wing, knocking me out of the sky. I looked and saw the choppers extremely close, too close. Somehow I knew the pain from a single shot shouldn't effect me so much and tried regaining altitude. But my wing didn't respond. The weight of my body somehow was too much. And I fell...

Down

Down

Down

A pair a black wings shadowed the sun. Marcus. He's come to save me. He reaches a hand out to me, his face desperate. He shouts something without actually making a sound. "I'm sorry" maybe? I reached out for his hand but then something fast cut through his wings. I saw feathers being torn from them. Then we both were falling...

Down

Down

Down

SPLASH!!

But of course I don't hear that. I only see the water suddenly blacking the blue sky, disorienting it along with the sun. Above me, Marcus and the others fall into the water as well. The once clear-blue water dyes with a blood red color.

Time stops.

The hawk call to me once more, this time I understand it.

"You can prevent their deaths..." it whispers to me.

I look at my friends. Their bodies, which were stopped from sinking farther into the water, started rising up, bubbles of their last breaths found their way back into their mouths and blood to their injuries. Time reversed itself for them, but I remained still.

"But for you..." the hawk sounded sad, "this is unavoidable..."

I called out to it in panic and time was revived. My friends floating up, and I sinking down.

Down

Down

Down

*

My alarms goes off but I stay still. I'm shocked by how shaky my arm is. I feel my forehead, it's sweaty. Common after a nightmare right? I lay my head back down on the pillow. Yeah right... I feel like shit. I don't bother turning off the alarm, instead I lay still and try to make sense of my dream.

Mom comes in after a few minutes and turns off the alarm. She moves me so she can see my face and I see here full of worry. She feels my forehead and tsks.

"Baby you're hot. Are you ok? You look pale."

I shake my head. "Nightmare... don't feel good..." And to be honest, I felt almost as if I had swallowed a bunch of water and was close to drowning.

Mom nodded and she and dad discussed who'd stay home with me. That's when Matthew came in and said he'd watch over me.

"I don't have any interviews today and no classes." He said and they nodded and took the others to school. "How are you feeling Sky?"

"Horrible..."

He only nodded and let me rest. I didn't want to go back to sleep for fear of the nightmare coming back, but dream found its way back while I was awake. That and a feeling that it could happen. That I could drown, myself and the people I haven't even met yet.