Content to Bloom

Reverend Victor was tending to his duties, keeping one eye out for Koriandre. He had heard the chanting outside, but it was unintelligible through the stone walls. Nevertheless, the priest was worried about his little sister. Suddenly, the door swung open and in came his charge. She was covered in pulp of rotten fruit and blood trickled down her cheeks and arms.

"Koriandre..."

"Slaed was right. I am strange. People hate me and I will never be accepted!" She shouted as tears came again.

"I'm so sorry..." He moved to comfort her, but she fled up the stairs. Victor sighed.

A few minutes later, Slaed came in. "Is the creature back in the tower?"

"What happened?" Vic asked angrily.

Slaed was impassive. "Nothing that she didn't see coming. Now if you will excuse me, a lesson needs to be learned. Oh, and I won't penalize you for lending her that robe. She tricked you, after all." He walked menacingly to the stairs as Victor stared back. The whole situation was gruesome.

The door opened once again and in came Richarde. A bouquet in his hands and his cat at his feet. Victor gave a half smile.

"Richarde, my friend. It's been too long."

"Sorry I haven't attended for awhile. Winter's coming and I'm trying to save up for a warmer uniform."

"I understand. It's not your church attendance that saves you." Silkie rubbed against the man's wooden leg. "Hello there."

"Uh...is Koriandre here?" Richarde asked nervously.

"You know you aren't supposed to go up there, how many times have we gone over this?"

"I know, I know. But I just want to make sure she's alright...and apologize."

"You didn't cause this did you?"

"It was an accident! I swear!"

"No swearing in the church."

"I affirm!"

Victor simpered. "Slaed is up with her right now. You will have to wait until he leaves."

"What is he doing?"

"It depends. He may be yelling at her, or comforting her for a false sense of security."

"I take it you don't like him."

"I despise him."

"A man of God despising another man of God?"

"Everyone sins. But he's a Pharisee, I'm sick of his 'Holier than thou' attitude. The only reason he has position is because of money."

"I've never seen you so angry."

"Kori did nothing to deserve the life he gives her!"

"So you will let me go talk to her?" He asked hopefully.

Victor thought a moment. "She's already met you. I can't see any more harm in it. But it is best to wait."

"And what am I supposed to do in the mean time?"

"There's someone in here who loves to listen." Vic said vaguely before walking away.

"Oh." Richarde realized, looking at the stained glass. "Hey. It's been awhile." He scratched his head and folded his hands, taking a seat in a pew. Silkie jumped up next to him. "It's not that I'm not grateful for everything that you've given me, I am! But...lately, the feeling of loneliness I told you earlier has been growing. I don't know why, I mean, I have lots of friends and I'm happy, but...I don't know. Maybe I just felt strange talking to you when I felt this way. Anyway, this prayer shouldn't be about me, it's for Koriandre. Please comfort her in the pain of today. And I'm sure she's even lonelier then I am. I ask that you care for her, since nobody else will. If it's in your will...could you let us be together? If not...take the affection I feel for her away." He blushed as he realized what he had said. "Uh...tell mom and dad I said hi. Amen."