Within the Silent Shade

"Merry Christmas Gar!" The exuberant acrobat cheered as he snuck up behind him.

Garfield flung the ball he was juggling up and into the crowd as he yelped. "Don't do that!"

Richarde chuckled.

"What's with you anyways? I thought you hated Christmas."

"I did. But that was before I had anyone to celebrate with."

"Anyone?" Gar raised a brow.

"Okay, besides you. But what did we do besides go down to the cafe and buy cake before going off and pestering Victor?"

"But that's tradition!"

"I know it is, and we'll still do it, but..." He looked up to the bell tower.

"Nuh-uh, don't say another word! Richarde, you and I have been friends for a long time. Surprisingly. But what you have with Kori...man I've just never seen the likes of it! You've known her for three months, and yet you can't seem to get her off of your mind."

"No Gar, I've known her for ten years, and haven't been able to get her off my mind. Now, I'm just not hiding it anymore. Because I don't have to."

"I'm happy for you. I think I'll go invite that Raven girl at the book store to go with me."

"You think she will?"

"You said she's pretty nice."

"I said she's pretty feisty. I'd be careful if I was you."

"If not, I'll just spend Christmas with Vic. You know he doesn't have any other family."

"Can you sit through one of his sermons?"

Garfield shuttered. "He's my friend, I will support him even where he doesn't excel."

"If the pope ever heard the way that man swears, shoot, he'd be out of there faster then you can say, 'excommunication'."

"No kidding!" Garfield laughed. "So?"

"So what?"

"Whatdya get me?" Gar asked, rubbing his hands together.

"Here ya go, you selfish little imp." He tossed him a box, colorfully wrapped in paper.

"Aw yeah! That's what I'm talking about." He ripped the box open in excitement, only to stop and stare at the present.

"Well?"

"It's a hat."

"A jesters hat!" He grinned.

Gar pulled out the monstrosity. It matched his lime green uniform and had big silver bells on each of the tendrils. He put it on his head and felt like he gained six pounds. "Well, how do I look?"

He snorted. "Absolutely ridiculous."

"Ohh! But it's warm!" He squealed, pulling it down over his fluffy blonde hair and abnormally pointed ears.

"That's why I got it! It's been getting colder lately."

Garfield stood regally, the bells dinging with each movement. "Thank you for your kind generosity brother!"

Richarde matched his pose. "'twas nothing dear brother!"

They both broke out in laughter.

In the cathedral, Kori skipped down the stairs, humming. She peered out the door and saw no one. She stalked carefully out the room, searching for her friend. She found him sweeping in the atrium. Using her stealth she snuck up behind him.