Chapter 23

Steve's POV: final chapter

            Danno and I sat on the couch. I took off my tie and unbuttoned the first two buttons of my shirt. Austin kissed my daughter. He kissed my little girl. I just witnessed Austin kiss my little girl. I don't know how to feel about this. I rubbed my face then sighed. I looked over at Danno who was sleeping. I shook my head then went upstairs to check on Keegan. I was about to knock on her bedroom door but she opened it. She jumped back quickly wiping her face. Her eyes red and puffy. Her cheeks were tear stained.

      "What's going on," I asked? She looked at me and burst into tears. I hugged her. "I don't know what to do," she said softly. I knew she was talking about her friend. We walked into her room. I saw a bunch of photos laying out. "What was your friend's name," I asked? "Ryan." She sat on the floor as I sat next to her. I picked up a photo strip of Keegan and Ryan. They looked so in love. The smiles the off guard laughs and the kiss. "That was our first kiss," she said. "You guys looked so happy." "I guess you can say we were. It was our first time escaping from the drama of our parents." Keegan rested her head on my shoulder. "Austin told me I can talk to him about Ryan. I did but I didn't cry until I was done talking to him. You know this is my first time crying since he's been gone and I don't know how handle it." I know how she feels but I don't know what to say to her. I felt like that when Cat left but I knew she was coming back. Ryan isn't and she knows that. He's her first love.

    I wrapped my arm around Keegan's shoulders pulling he close for comfort. We looked at a bunch of photos. Keegan told me so much about Ryan. He's a pretty nice guy. She even told me how they became friends. A yawn escaped her mouth. "Keegan," I said. "Hmm." "I'm going to get put you in bed." "Don't leave." "I'm right here." I kissed her forehead as I picked her up and tucked her in. I grabbed a beanbag and put it next to her bed. I grabbed her hand so she knows I'm in the room. She tightened her grip. I closed my eyes and before I knew it I was asleep. Early the next morning when I woke up Keegan was still holding my hand. I tried letting go but Keegan tightened her grip. "I'm sorry," she said. "Sorry for what?" "Being such a cry baby." "I'm your father. I'll always be here for you." Keegan turned her head and looked at me. The sun peeked into the room shining right in Keegan's eye. It made her hazel eye color stand out. She smiled then climbed out of bed. She grabbed my other hand and helped me out her beanbag chair then threw her arms around my neck hugging me. I hugged her back. "I love you," she said. I smiled. "I love you too princess."

     Keegan let go then turned around to walk out but I stopped her. I placed my hands on her shoulders and turned her around so that she was facing me. "I miss your smile," I said. Keegan put this big ole smile on her first. I laughed. "I know he's not coming back but I'll be fine. Can we hang out today?" "Sure." "Just to clear my head." "We also can talk about that kiss." Keegan turned around and walked off. "We will discuss it," I said. "I don't know what you're talking about." I walked out of Keegan's room and into my room. I took a quick shower and got dressed for work. I went downstairs into the kitchen. Keegan was just laying on the counter on her phone. "You have a bed," I said. She looked at me and smiled then continued texting. I swung her feet off the counter so she can get up. "Daddy," she whined. "Too bad." I noticed Keegan was dressed. She wore a teal hoodie with a white shirt and a pair of shorts. Her hair pulled back into a ponytail. She wore a pair of black flip flops. "Keegs," I said. "Hmm?" "Do you know how to surf?" "No but I know how to paddle board." "Want to learn how to surf? I have another board." "Really?" "Yeah!" I pretended to show excitement. I was excited to teach Keegan how to surf but I'm also not prepared. She can be so stubborn at times..

     Keegan went upstairs then came back down in a pair swim shorts and a bikini top. "Isaac is coming back today," she sang. "Isaac?" "Yes and I'm super excited but Riley would like to take Ryan out to sea. He loved the water." "I can take you guys tomorrow." "Really?" "Of course." "Can we go surfing now." "Let me go change." Keegan nodded then went out back. I went upstair and threw on a pair of swim shorts. I went to the garage a surfboard then went to meet Keegan out back. She had her inhaler and was doing all sorts of flips and stuff. I also noticed she was on FaceTime with a friend. "Ready," I asked? Keegan looked at me. "Yeah just let me say good by to Addison." "Ok." Keegan grabbed her phone and said goodbye. We walked towards the water. Keegan can have the attention span of a fly sometimes and in this case she had that attention span. I guess I'll take her driving later even though she already has her license. Keegan hopped on the board and stood straight up but ended up falling. When she resurfaced she climbed back on the board and sat down then threw herself off. I couldn't help but laugh. I never seen this silly side of Keegan. It was nice to see her happy. After I let my seventeen year old daughter act like a five year old we went further into the water where the waves were. Keegan put the strap around her foot. I was confident she knew how to swim but in open water you may never know.

      After spending a few hours in the water Keegan and I went got out the water then went inside. Keegan went up stairs and grabbed extra clothes and a towel. She came back downstairs in a pair of shorts and a hoodie with her hair pulled into a messy bun. She smiled at me. "What's going on," I asked? "We're going to Kamekona's." I raised my eyebrows then went upstairs and grabbed a pair of shorts and a towel then went downstairs. The front door was open. I walked over to it to see Keegan sitting in the driver seat of my truck. I smiled as I locked the doors and walked to the car. I climbed in the passenger seat. I'm so nervous. Keegan is driving. I'm confident she knows what she's doing but she hasn't drove since she been here. Keegan fastened her seatbelt. She put the car in reverse then backed out of the drive way. Once she did that it was smooth sailing from there. When we arrived at the Kamekona's Keegan killed the engine and rushed out the car. She ran over to her brother.

     Since Keegan and Isaac came to Hawaii my life has changed tremendously. I couldn't ask for anything else. Without these kiddos I would be lost. Keegan put me through hell and didn't make things easy for me but being a parent when were things ever going to be easy. I don't know what I'm going to do when Isaac moves on and Keegan goes off to college. I love them a lot and I would doing anything to make them smile.