Chapter 9

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" He whispers.

"It is." 

Lights of glow are seen across the black up above. They twinkle, and it absolutely strucks Benjie in awe. 

"Can I ask you something?" He questions me, not taking his eyes from the stars.

"Depends on what it is." I reply.

He clears his throat noisily and says, "Do you believe in God?"

"I do." I reply, peering at his face. "Do you?"

After a moment or two of silence, he finally responds, "It's hard to sometimes. Life is...messy. But in the end of my every days, I know He's here somewhere," he pauses, and then adds, "Wonder why He took away your friend."

My chest tightens, but eases gradually. "He didn't take him away, He's just merely opening my hands to receive something greater in life. Henry will always be with me even if I don't see him. I just have to listen to the breeze."

I feel something slide over my hand, and I come to realize Benjie is clutching  my palm in his. His breathing is heard, but barely visible in the dark. 

"Would you like to be friends?"

"Thought we already were in a way," I say, smiling at him.

And now we are looking at each other. His superb features catch my breath and haul it in my throat. 

He gazes else where, and surveys the sky once more. He stands up all the while I see him squint down at me in the dimness.

"It's late." Is all he says. At that I rise. Now that him and I are side by side, I measure at about to his shoulders.

We stroll in the direction of his motorcycle.

To strike up a conversation, I say, "I heard that you are eighteen, right?"

"Yeah."

"If you're eighteen, then why are you a Junior? Shouldn't this be your last year?"

"I started school late."

"Why so late?"

"I..." he sighs. "I don't want to talk about it."

"OK."

His fingers place themselves around the bars of the ride while I buckle my helmet.

Over the loud roar of the motor, I hear him say, "Hey keelie?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for being my friend."

* * * * *

After persuasion with my parents about sleeping over at Maria's house, my mom finally sides with approval to go and have fun.

It goes something like this:

Me: So can I go? She texted, and she's waiting on an answer.

Mom: Mmm...I don't know honey. Harold, what do you think?

Dad: I don't see why not. It isn't a school night. (looks at me sharply) And there won't be boys.

Me: No boys.

Mom: There's your answer. David will drop you off.

Dad: Keep your phone on you in case of an emergency.

Me: I doubt there will be an emergency, but OK.

* * * * *

We drive up to the house, and just as I am exiting the vehicle, David says, "If there's any trouble, just holler."