Chapter 10 - Piece by Piece

That following morning, I woke up with a headache. No scratch that, a massive volcano exploding in my head. It almost felt like an bad hang over.

What happened the other night?

I raked through the events of last night in my throbbing head.

Then it all came flooding back. All the yelling, hitting and cursing. All the words that came out of my mothers mouth. Them disgusting filthy words she said to her own daughter, me. Her own flesh and blood. And then there was Greg, he was hitting her.

Sometimes I wonder what my mother see's in that living monster. Can't she see she can do so much better without him?

For the first few months, Greg was fine, he was all smiley and nice. But as soon as things got serious between him and my mother. Everything changed. He'd order me about, threaten me with little gestures. I warned mum time and time again that something wasn't right.

But then again why would she listen to me? Her own personal 'mistake'

I shook my head, she didn't mean it, I know she didn't. She couldn't have.

Could she?

Suddenly I heard a loud clash making me wince. "I'm sorry Da-Greg, I won't do it again."

It was Sam. My heart quickened as I thought of vile things Greg could be doing to him. His innocent self frightened, his tiny frame shaking, them bright blue eyes watering.

I quickly rolled of bed, not caring I was in pyjama shorts and a short top, and ran to save my little brother.

I bolted down the stairs and headed to the door of Sams room, where the noise was coming from.

"I told you not to move them! What did you do? Move them!" I heard Greg roaring furiously.

"I'm sorry Greg p-leas-e don't hurt me-e" Sam stammered, frightened.

Where was my mother? How can she let this beast yell at a innocent 5year old?

That woman makes me sick..

I quickly rushed barging the door down. All eyes turned on me. There in the room. I saw Sam, cowering against his wardrobe his eyes watering, obviously scared. Greg crouching down to Sam's level yelling at him. Alexa in the other corner of the room rocking back and forth with her tiny hands on her ears.

And then there was my mother, on the couch interested in her tv show more then her child's health.

"Well,well, well, what do we have here?" Greg sarcastically said as he roamed his eyes on my showing flesh.

I shivered in disgust. "Just leave Sam ok? " I barely whispered, only just audible for him to hear.

"And why should I do that?" He questioned glancing over to Sam who was still frozen.

Not wanting to cause a scene. I went over to pick up Sam up and take him away, until I felt a fist connect to my face making me fall back onto the wardrobe. I screamed in pain as my spine connected with the handle.

"Stay away bitch. This has nothing to do with you." He spat in my face.

"He's a child" I yelled back, staggering back up again. "And it has everything to do with me! I'm his sister and the only one who seems to care about him in this house"

My mother was still staring blankly at the tv screen. Making me snarl at her.

Greg chuckled quietly and shook his head. "Don't you have a school to be getting to?"

I grabbed Sam again, holding his shaking frame to my chest and walked to the door. "Alexa, come on" My sister was still rocking in the corner, making my heart ache with sadness. Balancing Sam on my hip I held my free hand out to Alexa who was crawling up to me. Greg was staring, a blank expression on his face as I left the room.