Chapter Eight

"Shoot him!"

Sinon didn't question us, before he set up her sniper rifle, getting down on her stomach. She focused for a second before pulling the trigger. I didn't see the bullet, but somehow Death Gun did, because he moved out of the way.

"Oh, crap! He know I was here!" Sinon cursed.

"How could he?!" Kirito demanded, whirling to look at her.

"Maybe, he spotted me earlier or got my position from last scan."

Death Gun restored his previous pose, looked up at me and I could practically feel his grin. I shuddered and, still looking at me, Death Gun shot the man.

I shrieked, slapping a hand over my mouth and turning away. I could feel myself begin to hyperventilate. I shook my head as if that was enough to make everything all right again.

Sinon and Kirito was still watching, their faces frozen in horror. I got myself under control, before turning back to face the bridge. The man's body was missing, a Disconnection mark where he would have been.

"Jesus. What was that?" Sinon muttered, her face pale.

Death Gun trampled the mark underneath his boot, before he began to speak in his silky voice.

"Death Gun is my name, and the name of my gun. One day, I'll pay you all a visit too and bring real death with this gun. You've seen my power. It is real. This isn't over. Not yet. I'm just getting started. It's showtime."

I turned away once again, reaching up to hold my head. Despite being in the open air, I felt like I couldn't breath properly.

"It's him. That's Death Gun." Kirito announced grimly.

"No shit!" I exclaimed, whirling to watch him wide eyed.

He saw my panicked expression and came over to me, pulling me into a hug. He continued to talk with Sinon over the top of my head.

"Death Gun? You're joking. You mean those rumors about players getting shot and disappearing? Those are all true?" Sinon asked.

"Yeah, they are. I don't know how he does it yet. But he's been killing the players in the real world." Kirito confirmed, rubbing my back comfortingly.

"That's insane!"

"It's not. Two people have been found dead."

Sinon didn't answer. Kirito patted my back comfortingly.

"You okay?" He whispered, pulling away slightly.

"He's dead. He was alive and breathing. He had a life and now he's dead. There wasn't supposed to be anymore death."

"I know."

"What's wrong with her?" Sinon asked from behind me.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"She's hyperventilating! That's something!" Sinon exclaimed.

I pulled away, ignoring their curious looks. I moved to look back over the bridge.

"He's gone." I announced, dryly.

Kirito and Sinon raced over, unbelieving.

"Where'd he go?" Sinon asked, bewildered.

"Because any of us is an expert on sociopaths." I snapped.

Sinon's watch beeped.

"What's that?" I asked.

"It means the satellite is about to cross over." She turned to Kirito, "Kirito, watch the bridge for a sec. I'm on a check on the scan and see what the names are going by."