Chapter Eleven

"Death Gun!" I gasped, taking a couple steps back.

"I thought we had an understanding."

"You can't hurt us! I know the truth! You have a partner! You can't actually kill us!" I said, growing bolder, "You are focusing on Sinon right now!"

He laughed maliciously, walking towards me. I didn't back down or cower, standing in my place and glaring at him as he walked towards me. Finally, when he was inches away, he leaned in. He was so close I could feel his breath on my ear. I held back a shudder.

"Who said I only had one partner?"

I reeled back at his whisper, my expression filling with horror. He was chuckling as he leaned back.

"W-What?" I stuttered.

"I have someone trained on Sinon, your precious Rikimaru and someone else."

"Someone else?"

"However, I did not appreciate the little stunt you pulled with the message in the sand."

Fear choked me, but I stood up straight, staring him right in the eye. I refused to show him I was afraid.

"So brave, yet so...naive." He purred, reaching out to trace his fingers down my jaw. I clenched my teeth and jerked away from his touch, which caused him to chuckle.

"You do realize, that this means I get the pleasure of killing your beloved."

"No!" I gasped, whirling to face him, "You can't!"

"I can."

I gathered myself up, looking straight into his red eyes. "But you won't."

"Oh?"

"You still need me."

"You're replaceable."

"You won't hurt Rikimaru. Or me." I repeated, not believing a single thing that came out of my mouth.

So when he pulled up a screen showing footage of a man holding a gun to Rikimaru's head, I wasn't surprised.

I clenched my fists, a lump growing in my throat. I had always hated bullying, but I never thought I would be the one someone would go after.

In a way, I had thought myself invincible. It was one of the reasons why I had originally been a solo player. I thought I could handle myself; that I didn't need anyone. But then, I ran across Kirito and Katsu and Rikimaru, and I discovered I needed them in my life.

I needed Katsu's sassy attitude.

I needed Kirito's brooding tendencies.

I needed Rikimaru's lullabies and sarcasm.

But, because of the fact that I needed them, they became my weakness. I wasn't invincible anymore.

And now Death Gun was using this to his advantage.

"What can I do?" I whispered hoarsly, knowing there was nothing I else I could do except to submit to him.

"Ah, what a nice question." He murmured, "The first thing you can do is kill this man."

He jerked a guy out from behind his back that I, somehow, didn't notice. I watched incredulously as Death Gun forced the man on his knees.

"W-What?" I stuttered, watching with wide eyes.

"I want you to kill this man, knowing that he will be dead in real life; knowing that he may have a family in the real world, cheering him on; knowing that in order to save the ones you love, you have to give up your humanity."

My breathing quickened, as Death Gun took out the small handgun he used as the charade to kill players. He held it out to me, his red eyes glinting.

"You're a sick bastard." I told him, my stomach clenching.

"It's time to choose. This man, or the ones you love. Because I won't stop at Rikimaru. Next will be the boy you walk home with everyday. What was his name? Katsu?" Death Gun sighed, "He's such a bright spirit. I hate to see him go."

I couldn't take my eyes off the man. His eyes were wide, pleading for mercy. He was gagged, but that didn't hold back his whimpers. Vomit rose in the back of my throat, threatening to make an appearance.

"Someone will die either way." Death Gun continued, his voice never wavering, "You just get to choose. If you kill this man, I will let you and your loved ones live. For now, at the very least. If you don't pull the trigger, Rikimaru is the first in a long line of people to die."

I could feel my hand reach out and take the gun. The metal was cool to the touch, yet it seemed to burn in my palm. Death Gun stepped back, and I considered shooting him, but it wouldn't have killed him.

Somebody was waiting in this man's room, right now, waiting to inject him with a drug that would murder him within minutes.

And I was supposed to give the signal.

Kill this man, or inadvertently kill everyone I loved?

The choice seemed obvious. I should kill the man. He meant nothing to me, and it was only one life compared to everyone I loved.

However, I couldn't get Death Gun's words out of my head.

"I want you to kill this man, knowing that he will be dead in real life; knowing that he may have a family in the real world, cheering him on; knowing that in order to save the ones you love, you have to give up your humanity."

What if he did have a family? Could I live with myself knowing I took the life of a man who was not ready to die yet?

It was like playing God in a way.

I got to choose whether someone lived or died today.

"I won't stop at Rikimaru."

I felt my finger slide until it was resting on the trigger.

"Next will be the boy you walk home with everyday. What was his name? Katsu?"

My arm moved up until the muzzle of the gun was pointed directly in between the man's eyes. A kill shot.

The man looked up at me, in one last attempt at pleading for mercy. I'm not sure what he saw in my face, but suddenly, he slumped forward in defeat.

He knew I had made up my mind.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, my voice cracking.

The man looked up and nodded. He couldn't say anything, but he seemed to want to let me know that he forgave me.

I looked away from him, closing my eyes tightly. I didn't want to see his face anymore. My hand was surprisingly seady, as if it wasn't even mine.

My finger tightened on the trigger, almost in a reflex. I could hear Death Gun laughing maniacally a few feet away.

"I'm sorry..."

I pulled the trigger.