Chapter Sixteen

I took a deep breath, nervous about my choice. I was relieved, though. I knew it was the right decision no matter the consequences.

Without further ado, I pulled the trigger.

He went flying backwards and hit the ground with a thump. I could hear his breathing become unsteady, but I knew it wasn't a lethal kill.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Sinon exclaimed, her fists clenching. "You have got to be one of the most bipolar women I have ever met!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, would you rather have me shoot the other?" I snapped.

"Stop." He wheezed from the ground, "I can't believe you....sided with...him."

I shot him again.

He groaned in pain, but fell silent.

"What the hell?!" Sinon shouted again.

I rolled my eyes, lowering my handgun into its holster. I unfolded my gun into the scythe and lowered it against his neck. Sinon came over and tossed me aside.

I snarled and swung my scythe up at her, but a phase sword popped up in between us, stopping me.

"I chose your side!" I yelled at Sinon, ignoring the sword, "Despite the fact that the love of my life might be killed for it! Despite the fact that everyone I care about is being threatened!"

Sinon looked flustered, and turned away from me, kicking Death Gun on her way past his body. He groaned in pain again.

I lowered my scythe, turning my head to glance at Kirito. Panic started to overwhelm me as I took in the magnitude of my choice.

"What happens now?" I asked him in a broken whisper. "What if I just condemned everyone I love?"

He didn't say anything. He just watched me cautiously, but didn't come near me.

"What if I just ruined everything?"

My breathing became shallow, and my head pounded. I could feel my heart racing, despite the weight on my chest. Kirito became more and more alarmed with each of my labored breaths.

He moved forward, guiding me to the wall. I leaned against it, sliding down to the ground. When I reached the ground, I shoved my head in between my knees.

Kirito crouched down next to me, his hand rubbing my back awkwardly in comfort.

"It'll be okay." He told me, his voice soft.

"How do you know that?" I muttered, "I mean, I just attacked the man I was supposed to be allies with on live television. Any of his supporters could be on the move right now!"

"Harumi--"

"It's not that hard to break into Agil's bar! I mean, Katsu and I have done it multiple times!"

"Wait, you have?!"

"And Rikimaru is logged in and completely vulnerable right now! Hospitals aren't exactly the most secure places! I've seen the movies!"

"I'm sure he will be--"

"Katsu! Katsu is with his girlfriend right now! They could both get hurt! And it would be all my fault!"

"Harumi--"

"And Asuna!! And Klein! What about Yui and Gurē and Kuro?!"

"Harumi!!"

I fell silent, my breathing ragged. Kirito pulled me into his chest, rocking me back and forth slowly. I grabbed onto the lapels of his jacket, pulling uselessly against them.

He hummed, and I fell silent when I heard the tune. It was Rikimaru's lullaby. He knew it was the only thing that may have calmed me down right now that was accessible.

I listened to him, feeling my heartbeat slow. I relaxed against him, taking slow breaths.

"Have you met Agil?" He finally asked, "It's going to take a lot more than one supporter to take him down. As for you and Katsu breaking into his bar, I'm definitely going to tell Agil about that."

I chuckled, thinking of our huge friend. It was true; he wasn't going to be taken down voluntarily.

"Rikimaru is surrounded by tons of security that is not shown in the movies. Besides, you don't know he is still logged in. And if he's awake, he's at your bedside, watching over the two of us. Rikimaru can handle himself; he's one of the best warriors I know."

I smiled, pulling back to look up at him. He avoided my gaze, clearly uncomfortable, but he pushed through it.

"The same goes for Katsu. He was the leader of the second best guild. He can protect himself and his girlfriend, and still have time to make a sandwich."

I couldn't hold back my laugh, as I reached up to smooth back my hair. With each word, I became more and more relaxed.

"Asuna kicks ass daily, so she can easily take care of herself--"

"She was almost raped last year." I pointed out.

"So were you." He retorted.

I grumbled, not appreciating the reminder.

"Either way, she can handle herself. And Klein....well, Asuna can protect him too."

Laughter bubbled out of me, and I covered my mouth with my hand to hide it.

"And Kuro, Gurē, and Yui are programs." He said. His tone was awfully mocking. "They can't be hurt."

I blushed in embarassment. He had managed to reassure me and humiliate me all at the same time.

"You're right." I mumbled, pulling away completely.

He let me go immediately and we both climbed to our feet. I looked over to see Death Gun rising to his feet -- almost completely recovered from where I shot him.

I felt a spike of fear, but one look at Kirito steadied me. He was prepared and ready to fight.

"Can we do this?" I asked.

He looked down at me, handing me my scythe. He nodded once, before pulling out his phase sword. He crouched down, prepared to battle, and Sinon followed his example.

I swayed, unsteady, but I folded the scythe up into a gun, ready to fight.

"Kirito..." I muttered.

My nerves were picking up again, but I shook them away. I was better than this. I was stronger than this.

"We always fight."

I looked over to him, surprised and mildly confused.

"What?"

"That's what you told me. In ALO. We always fight."

I nodded, steeling my nerves.

"Yeah. We do."