Chapter Two: Now

The vampire incident was three years ago. The end of my childhood, truly. I began a new life. Filled with more normal things. I am now a Sophomore in Creekswood's tiny public highschool. My dad has told me all about the paranomrmal and what he hunts. My new life will begin soon, and then I shall be one of them: a hunter. Mitch and Kayla are both doing well in school, and have grown up believing that it really was a Black bear attack that took our mother. I have participated in a few hunts, learned to fight so much better, and know alot more about stealing cars, repairs, credit card scams, and fake I.D.'s. Maybe I sound more criminal, but hunting doesn't really have an income, so without my mother's job, we would be in the streets. Again.

My life Now:

    "Yes," Bethany giggled, "I thought it was hilarious, too!" in referance to our health teacher's terminology. He had to be in his 80's at least, so he was. . . Interesting and funny to listen to.

       "'And the reproductive system is used for . . . Spittin' out some kids!' Seriously! Who talks like that?!" I said, trying to supress laughter. We both laughrd harder, and our longs grabbed for air as bethany fell off the foot of my bed.

    "Ok, back to buisness! When do you start going on hunts more often? And you still haven't told me about the 'angry spirit' you exercised last month!" Bethany shrieked, with a fakely pained face.

    "I don't know, it depends on if any 'safe' cases come up and if Kayla and Mitch can go to my grandparents for two weeks at a time, depending on where we go, what the case is, and all that kind of stuff. As for your angry spirit, not much to tell."

    "But how did you . . . Kill it? It was a spirit."

    "In this case, we exorcised it," which earned me an unbeleivable eye roll, accompanied by one of the widest grins possible, "But we just read a few bible psalms and that kind of stuff in Latin, like in the movies."

    "That sounds so cliched!" i earned from Bethany with a wink.

    "Well, whatever works, right?"

    Though Bethany knew about my hunting, she did not fully comprehend some parts of the job. She would usually try to compare to her favorite movies and T.V. shows, ironically. A hunter's best friend would love the kinds of movies that involved hunting the paranormal and supernatural, wouldn't she? How Ironic.

    ----------------------------------------------The Next morning At School----------------------------------------------------

    Lockers slam, as always in highschool. The halls are filled with cussing and shouting, as I shiver from the cold. Same faces, walking past, almost like nameless faces passing in a blurr. Highschool, the years of detrimental torture: homework. On the bright side, there were a lot of people if you were very social. In my case, I mostly kept to myself. Even now, during lunch if bethany wasn't nearby.

    I removed my Swiss Army knife from my pocket to dig out my lunch money, just as Mr. Heron passed, and he whisked it away, glaring at me. I will have to replace that one. They are always getting confiscated!

    That was when I noticed the new face. He was tall, pale, dark haired, with dark eyes. He looked fine, great even, but there was something about him. Something that was . . . off. And I don't mean the selling drugs, shoplifting, teen drinking kind of off. I got the kind of feeling that I get when something supernatural or paranormal is around, or when I am closing in during a case.

    As he passed me, I backed against my locker and he stopped, just for a second in the hall and looked at me, with one raised eyebrow. What was his deal?!