Chapter Three: The Ride

"James?" I stammered, not believing that I was getting a ride home after the fight with a werewolf. From Bethany's crush. Oh, boy, was I going to hear it. That's if she didn't kill me first . . . 

    "That would be what I said," He smirked as he looked at my apalled look. A smug grin remained plastered to his face. "So the famous Ellen Cross, in the flesh."

    "Wait, have you heard of me before?!"

    "Nope, not at all," James' smile gre larger, as he turned his eyes from the road to look at me.

    Our brown eyes, almost the exact deep, milk chocolate shade. He started to lean towards me, and instinctively I lifted my hand to push his face away, but he removed his hands from the wheel and grabbed my wrists. I started to worry that I would have to fight my way out of his grasp, but at htis angle, I would have to break at least one of our hands.e saw the panic in my eyes. I could take him on easily, but I would be blowing my secret to do so. He leaned in and whispered,

    "I do know that you are an amazing huntress, great person and destined for-" and his eyes lost the dazed look that they had gained while he  said those things. He seemed to snap out of a trance of sorts.

   "I what?" I started to ask alarmed.

    "I don't know. What are you?" The way he said it made me wonder what he might know of the suoernatural. I did not know James well, but anyone with half a brain could tell that he had nt been quite himself fro the second he grabbed my writs until he cut himself off.

     "Nothing, nothing."

    "Did I say something?" James took a tone that sinaled this was not the first time something like this had happened.

    "No, I had misheard you . . . While looking out the window-" I fibbed, ot sure whether or not to trust him at this point. ANd even if I did trust him, what would I say? I mean, even Bethany hadn't  found out about the paranormal parts of my life until the summer of eingth grade, as we prepared to enter our Freshman year of highschool.

    "Oh, well what kind of music are you into?"

    "Oh, well I am into alot of various kinds."

    "Well?"

   "I listen to things from Metallica and Aerosmith, to Timabaland, Justin Timberlake, and Bruno Mars, To Carrie Underwood and Classical. What abut you?"

  "I listen mostly to the older music like Meatllica and Aerosmith, and ACDC, and I could go on for a very long time, but not as much of the so called modern stuff. Favorite kinds of days?"

    "No homework!" This earned another chuckle, and his grin widened as he nodded at the stack of books in the backseat for a few of our classes. That was when I realised my science class was the only class we didn't have together, aside from Spanish.

    "Not quite what I meant, but I like that, I like it alot. I love the rain though."

    "So do I, when I am not walking ten miles to my house after school," We both laughed, which is how most of the car ride went, before I told him where I lived, and he walked me to the door.

   "See you around Cross?"

   "Sure thing, Pond," I emphasized the Pond, trying to figure out why I was being called by my last name.

    I had learned that this James Pond was sweet and charming when he wanted to be. But humor aside, he actes, which means that he could just be putting up another show. I was almost certain that he had seen the fight. I can't help but wonder if those large, masculine shoulders and arms could have fended off that werewolf . . . I could not distract myself! He is but an average boy, aside from whatever secret that pale but strong face hid in the depths of his dark eyes . . .

    "Ellen!"

    Dad

       was

        home.

         Oh. No.