Freshman Year

Esmé was still in the healing process, but she would never be the same. She had once been a bright, happy, and colorful child. Now, she hid her colors in dark 'armor'. She had been drawn to dark clothing. It suited her far more than all those bright colors. She went through the year like all the rest. She did her work, stayed in school, made good grades, performed with the band, performed with JROTC, and was in Sr Beta. Band was her life. She went to band practice every-time she could. It was at band practice one day that she realized she was 'falling' again. Esmé and AJ were practicing in the middle of the school yard, when AJ's childhood friend walked up with some others. The others began to socialize with some of the other band members, but Saiun (AJ's childhood friend) sat near Esmé. AJ began to listen to music and label her music. Esmé felt awkward sitting in silence and doing nothing, so she called out to AJ. AJ didn't answer Esmé, so Saiun got AJ's attention. Then, when it was time to go back inside, AJ and Saiun began to argue. From that day on, Esmé couldn't stop thinking about Saiun. Toward the end of her Freshman year, Saiun even pointed out something that made Esmé even more unique. Summer break came, and Esmé just couldn't keep her mind off of him no matter how hard she tried.