Chapter 14-Invitation

Hello lovelies and welcome new followers.

Sorry it took me so long to post an update. I've been super busy but more than that, I struggled a lot with this chapter. I don't know why but I just couldn't get in Travis'head that man is so stubborn, guess he only wants Abby in there ;-). That being said, I'm not super confident with this chapter but I'm glad is done, hope you like it and don't forget to leave a comment. I love to read your thoughts and reactions.

Happy readings.

Chapter 14

Invitation

That was his dad? WOW! No wonder the man looked so familiar, Maddox was his spitting image.

"What are you doing here?" Daren's voice was curt but not unkind.

His dad's brows arched.

"No 'Nice to see you dad' or a hug for your old man?" I heard Daren's exhale but I couldn't see his face. He set the bike on its kickstand and I immediately got to my feet. There was some obvious tension between father and son.

To my surprise Daren walked around the bike towards his dad and was quickly enveloped in a strong, manly hug. You know, the type where they slap each other roughly on the back to show the depth of their affection without having to use words?

I felt a little awkward just standing there, intruding on a private moment. From this angle I had a clear view of his dad's face resting over Daren's shoulder. I felt a pang of yearning at the sight, it was clear in the man's face that he loved his son, regardless of whatever problems they had.

The similarities between the two were astounding; I focused on that. Same bone structure, strong jawline and sculpted lips. Daren's hair was a little longer whereas his dad's was more of a military cut. They seemed to be about the same height too, Daren perhaps a few inches taller, but his dad was wider. If it weren't for those minor details and the laughing lines around his dad's eyes I'd swear they were twins.

When they pulled apart his father's expression turned hard.

"You missed your mother's birthday." It was a statement and by the sound of his stern voice, he was not happy about it.

"Shit!" Daren cursed, clearly taken by surprise with the information.

"Why didn't' you call me? I would've... dammit!" He started pacing back and forth with an anxious bounce to his step.

"How mad is she?" His question sounded hopeful but also defeated as if he already knew it wouldn't be an easy fix.

"You know your mother, what do you think?" There was an undercurrent of humor in the man's voice.

"Shit!" He cursed again, guess that wasn't the answer he was looking for.

"What do I need to do to fix this?" His dad smirked, revealing a dimple on the left cheek, just like Daren's.

"Short of bringing her Dorothy's ruby slippers you kinda have your work cut out for you."

"Double shit, you're right!" Daren threw his head back, letting out a loud groan of exasperation. His father's expression was a mixture of sympathy and amusement.

I snickered, unable to help myself. I'd never seen Maddox this worked up before, it was... an interesting side to him.

The sound prompted them both to look in my direction. Oh! So they could see me. Good. For a second I thought I was invisible.