Chapter 40-Sucker Punched

Hello my lovelies, thank you all so much for your wonderful comments and marriage wishes. I did have the most beautiful wedding, it was everything I dreamed it would be and my honeymoon was amazing, I had the best time. Check out my cake, I put a picture of it was my profile pic. So, all I can say about this chapter is...good luck and Happy Readings.

Chapter 40

Sucker Punched

Jay

Something is wrong. I've been trying to be the patient and supportive boyfriend by giving Em the space she wanted, but something was definitely wrong. This was about more than needing "some space" as she put it. It's been three fucking days since I dropped her off at her apartment and every time I get a hold of her on the phone she gives me yet another excuse as to why she can't see me or wants to be alone. Em and I never went more than a day without seeing each other even when we were only friends, and I missed her like fucking crazy. Now, she wasn't even answering my phone calls. This was bullshit, I could feel it in my gut that something was really, really wrong and I was done waiting around.

I knocked on her apartment door a few times but there was no answer, it was quiet inside. At this point I didn't know what to think. Was she hiding from me, avoiding me? I didn't have a fucking clue because she didn't even have a car; so where the fuck was she? I paced the hallway, back and forth like a manic person determined to wait as long as it took to get a hold of her, even if I had to set up tent outside her door until she came back.

About an hour later, I was sitting with my back against the wall, my arms resting over my bended knees, when I heard the door jiggle. A second later, Em walked out into the hallway, oblivious to my presence as she proceeded to lock the door.

"You avoiding me angel?" My voice startled her, making her whirl around with a hand clutching her chest.

"Jesus, you scared me." I kept my eyes trained on her as I got to my feet. She fidgeted with the strap of her bag, avoiding my gaze.

"What ar-what are you doing here?"
"Are you serious?" I gaped at her. "The better question is why the hell didn't you answer the door?"

"What do you mean? I didn't hear a knock."

"Not right now, I've been sitting here waiting for you for over an hour. I knocked for about ten minutes straight and I haven't left this spot," I pointed to the floor. "Since, which means you didn't answer on purpose. What the hell Em?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you knocking, I must've been taking a nap." My eyes narrowed on her. She looked tired, her uniform was wrinkled and there were dark circles under her eyes.

"I've called you about a dozen times, I've been worried sick thinking something happened to you." I sighed, glad to see that she was okay. Taking a step toward her, I extended my arm to cup her cheek. God I'd missed her something fierce and wanted nothing more than to wrap her in my arms and take her home. My fingers barely graced her face when the sound of a door closing down the hall made her flinch back as if I'd burnt her. Some dude glanced in our direction before making his way to the stairway and disappearing from sight.

"I-I have to get to work, I'm already late." She sounded spooked and her face seemed to have paled a shade or two.

"Okay, I'll take you."

"No!" She shouted her response, looking frazzled and wide eyed.

"Em, what's going on?" I didn't like the space between us. I ached to touch her, to feel her soothing warmth but I sensed a wall had gone up and I didn't know what to make of it.

"Nothing. I just," Shutting her eyes, she takes in a long breath before speaking.

"Jay, I think-I just need a little space okay?" My heartbeat doubled in speed as if in awareness of something my mind was fighting to block.