The De Catalans (Part 2)

"Cesare you can't keep doing this!" Caterina said in a hushed whisper as she stood over Rhiannon's cradle. The little one had caught a cold and was running a slight fever. Rhiannon had been cranky all day, and Caterina had been up with her trying everything in her power to soothe her. Rhiannon, after hours of fighting the urge, finally fell asleep.

Cesare let out a frustrated groan as he put his trusted dagger into the cloak that he wore whenever he went out into the dead of night. He knew his wife was right, but he had no choice.

Once again, Juan had messed up. Cesare knew his brother was messing up on purpose, for Juan knew that Cesare cared too much about the family name to let it be smudged by amateur mistakes. Juan was hoping that his brother would somehow be done away with while cleaning up his so called "mistakes."

Cesare had decided to play along. Most of the things that Juan had him go do were minor. Nothing a little knife fight couldn't handle, and with Michael always lurking in the shadows, Cesare didn't have too much to worry about. If only his wife understood the idea.

Caterina knew what Juan was doing too. Before, she would have been rooting on Cesare, in hopes that Rodrigo would finally recognize all of Cesare's efforts. But that was before...before they had their own family. Despite her own cruel and brutal heart, Caterina was scared that one day Cesare wouldn't come back.

What would happen to her and to their daughter then? She knew Juan hated her, and that without Cesare's protection she would always be in danger.

"Cat please..." Cesare pleaded, using his wife's nickname. He walked over so he could stand behind her, wrapping his arms around her.

"Please don't be mad at me. You know why I'm doing this...I have to do this. This may be the only way that I can prove to Father why I should be in Juan's shoes."

Caterina with her eyes on her sleeping baby asked, "How come you just don't get rid of him?"

The silence hung around the three of them...for what Caterina had asked was something Cesare longed to do...but would never dare do. Cesare could play the game with patience. It was only if Juan did something drastic would Cesare act on his cold hearted emotions and ambition.

"I could get rid of him you know..." Caterina said quietly.

Cesare whipped his wife around and shook her roughly.

"Don't you dare say that. You know that if you did that, Father would never forgive you. He loves you, but he doesn't love you to the point where he won't have you in the chambers down below!"

Caterina pushed away from Cesare, frustrated. But as she heard the baby whimper from the commotion, she felt her anger simmer down. She looked at Cesare, seeing her daughter's eyes and dark features in his face.

She let out a deep sigh and said, "Just come home to me..."

She felt tears brimming in her eyes and she was soon again in Cesare's arms, him hugging her tightly, kissing the top of her head.

"Nothing is going to happen to me. Did you forget? You actually married the De Catalan who uses his head."

She smiled as she felt him release her. He bent down and kissed his daughter on the head whispering, "Goodnight Princess. Daddy's got to go to work."

With one final kiss to Caterina, Cesare walked out of the bedroom, closing the door quietly behind him. Caterina watched from their bedroom window on the second floor as Cesare and Michael climbed into the black vehicle, heading off to handle "family matters".

~

The De Catalan mansion was silent...for the most part. Caterina should have been asleep but sleep avoided her this night. All she could think about was Cesare. Juan had made the stupid mistake of letting some of their weapons that they were sending to their factions actually go through Della Rovere territory. Cesare and Michael had decided to trail the shipment in case Alessandro decided to get smart and go after it.