Chapter 6. Dressed to kill

In no time, the weekend approached, and Laura, who had been quite successful in avoiding Cody for a couple of days, now realized that she would not be able to do that anymore. It would be more or less impossible.

To cool herself down a bit, she made herself a drink that she downed almost at once. In the background from her speakers, heavy metal music was pumping out at a decent volume. That was one of the things that really made her cool down, and she needed that right now.

Earlier, Lance and Phil had left the house to go to Cody's place, and they would later go from there to the barbecue over at Mick's and Diane's.

After a while she went into her bedroom to pick out what clothes to wear for the night. The day had been humid and hot and she knew the night was going to turn out the same, so she picked out a knee length skirt she liked and a tight fitting t-shirt. Subconsciously she knew that Cody would like that outfit, and to that she then choose a pair of sandals with silver studs on the straps.

Walking into the bathroom, she stopped in front of the mirror and started to put some modest make-up on, and finally she just raked her hand through her hair and then shook it a little. Oh, why even bother?

She watched herself in the mirror and tried in vain to see if there was in fact anything that could attract such a guy like Cody, but she could not see it. Not a god damn thing.

Her hair. . maybe.

In her own eyes she was just an ordinary woman.

When she was done with her make-up she strolled back into the living-room and continued to listen to the music. Slumping down in a chair, she closed her eyes and enjoyed the music and yet another drink.

~ ~

Cody, Lance and Phil sat round the table in Cody's kitchen, drinking beer and talking. They were in the middle of a heated discussion about cars and women, and the would and would not be that surrounded those topics, when Phil suddenly looked at Cody with a quizzical expression on his face. "Level with us now, man." suddenly there was silence, "We all know by now that there is a special someone that occupies most of your thoughts, Cody,. Who is she?"

Lance nodded and also aired his thoughts. They knew they had asked him before, but damn it, they wanted to know!

"You have never kept anything from us before, right? So this has to be someone special."

Cody's jaw dropped for a second and he felt like he had been caught with his pants down, the falling of a pin could have been heard in the silence that followed, but he immediately recovered and glared at them.

Clearing his throat before answering, he squirmed slightly in his seat.

"To say it's complicated is an understatement guys," he rolled up the sleeves of his gray-black denim shirt and undid the top button, "I neither can nor want to say anything, you just have to accept that guys."

Lance and Phil gave each other puzzled looks and shrugged their shoulders a little, they were not at all used to Cody being this secretive. Normally all of them shared their own experiences with the others, good as well as bad.

In Cody's case, the experiences were almost always good. Except that one time when he had been dangerously close to becoming a father, but the girl had terminated the pregnancy.