Too Late (Chapter 2)

Third Person POV  

"Alright, consider yourselves debriefed." The entire 15th devision chuckled softly to themselves as Captain wrapped up the morning meeting. "Assignments are posted on the board."  

The young woman turned around in her chair, still slightly smiling. She then got up and made her way over to the board to check the partnering assignments for the next few months.   

"Officer Greene?" An unfamiliar voice called out from behind her.   

Confused, she turned around to find a good-looking man staring back at her, with dark brown hair, light brown eyes, and the perfect amount of stubble smeared across his chiseled face.   

The woman briefly glanced over at the board and looked at the pairing once more. She was paired with Officer Shepard. The name that matched perfectly that of the name tag of the man in front of her.   

"Yeah, that's me." She said, smiling at the man in front of her. "And you must be Shepard."  

He laughed. "That's what the tag says." He pointed out, looking into her eyes. Unwillingly, he stared for too long, getting lost in her emerald gems. He shook his head. "Alright then... Shall we?"   

* * *  

Katie's POV  

"Dare?"   

I called upwards, tilting my head backwards and allowing my voice to travel up to the top of the overturned bus in the prison field, where the blue-eyed redneck was pacing back and forth on an endless loop, eyes peeled for unwanted visitors. 

  "Up 'ere."  

My head still tilted backwards and my gaze still fixed up at him, I saw a hand come down from on top of the bus to help me up.   

I used part of a window from the bus to step on, helping myself get a step higher in order to climb up. 

  I put the bowl of smoked owl remains on top of the bus, then reached out my hand to Daryl's, grasped it tightly, and allowed myself to be pulled up.   

"It's not much," I said, picking up the bowl and holding it out shakily for Daryl. "But if I don't bring you something you won't eat at all."  

"Yeah, guess little Shane over there's got quite the appetite."  

I laughed softly at this and smiled at his new classification for Carl. But at the mention of Shane's name, my face returned neutral. I sighed. "Ricks gotten us farther than I expected, I'll give him that."   Daryl grumbled in agreement, nodding his head.   

I shifted uncomfortably as the pain in my shoulder from the Ruger earlier on returned, sending a blunt blanket of pain to circulate through my shoulder.   

"What's wrong?" Daryl asked as he saw me bring my left hand up to my right shoulder, rubbing it slightly.   

"It's fine, really..." I looked up at him to see that 'no bullshit' look on his face, and I sighed. "That rifle, the kickback, I'm just not used to it. Nothing like the blowback from my Glock..."  

He threw the last piece of owl into his mouth and licked his fingers, then wiped them on his poncho and waved me over. I took a step towards him, and he turned me around gently. He then put both of his hands on my right shoulder and dug his thumbs around rhythmically, messaging it.   

He did this for a while, before leaning forward and kissing my hair. I closed my eyes, savoring it, then he pulled away.   

"We should probably head back." He said, turning around and picking up his crossbow.    I nodded and smiled slightly at him, before taking his hand and following him down the bus.