Loving the Unlovable

The text: Matthew 5:43-48"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

The quote: "Who did Jesus chose to spend His time with? It was not the religious 'righteous' people who appeared to have it all together. Jesus hung out with the sinners, the outcasts, the diseased, and the broken. Jesus loved the people this world just loves to hate."

The message: Lately, I have been studying the Gospels and writing down who specifically Jesus loved and who He was. I have learned something that we as Christians often forget (and I'm only halfway through Matthew 😃). Who did Jesus chose to spend most of His time with and chose to show love? It was not the religious "good people" but the sinners, the the diseased, the outcasts. Jesus redeemed the unredeemable. He had compassion on the undeserving and He loved the unloveable.
As Christians, we claim to want to be like Christ and to love Jesus. But what does this truly look like? Do we really love the unlovable, the outcasts, and the sinners? Do we truly love people like Jesus did? Or are we content to only try to live like Jesus when we go to church, then live like the rest of the world all the other days of the week. If we truly love Jesus, would this not completely transform our lives? So my quetion to you is this: are you truly loving people like Jesus did? The sinners, the outcasts, the dirty and diseased, the ones who hurt you, the unlovable, the unredeemable? Are you truly putting your words into action?